Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember when this used to be big football news?
Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Ha! Yeah, quite a difference huh? I remember being on vacation with my parents when the Vikings finally signed Disco Darrin Nelson. My little brother and I had a big celebration. 

Always find it amusing that Darrin didn't want Minnesota to draft him. It was the only team he sent a letter to, specifically requesting they not draft him. 

'I'm a very outgoing person. I like to go to discos. I don't want to go to a disco and listen to country music....This isn't a disco town, it's a polka town." 

I hope he got to meet Prince. 
And I still wish the Vikings drafted Marcus Allen. 

Minnesota thought Darrin Nelson was going to be a dynamo on the Metrodome turf. Straight up. He was the 7th overall pick, pretty high and never lived up to the pick. 
I remember that. This is why the NFL is so bad at drafting. They focus on little bullshit like this.

Sometimes I think the NFL would be better at drafting if they didn't put so much credence in the minutiae...in pages-long scouting reports. If you can't tell in 5 minutes of tape that Marcus Allen was a better back than Darrin Nelson, you deserve what you get. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Ha! Yeah, quite a difference huh? I remember being on vacation with my parents when the Vikings finally signed Disco Darrin Nelson. My little brother and I had a big celebration. 

Always find it amusing that Darrin didn't want Minnesota to draft him. It was the only team he sent a letter to, specifically requesting they not draft him. 

'I'm a very outgoing person. I like to go to discos. I don't want to go to a disco and listen to country music....This isn't a disco town, it's a polka town." 

I hope he got to meet Prince. 
And I still wish the Vikings drafted Marcus Allen. 

Minnesota thought Darrin Nelson was going to be a dynamo on the Metrodome turf. Straight up. He was the 7th overall pick, pretty high and never lived up to the pick. 
I remember that. This is why the NFL is so bad at drafting. They focus on little bullshit like this.

Sometimes I think the NFL would be better at drafting if they didn't put so much credence in the minutiae...in pages-long scouting reports. If you can't tell in 5 minutes of tape that Marcus Allen was a better back than Darrin Nelson, you deserve what you get. 
Agreed. Nelson was shifty, but he really wasn't amazing in that arena. Not like a Barry Sanders. Nor was he stout. For a smaller guy, he could get knocked off his feet easily. His center of gravity for a short back was higher than normal for his stature. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"HappyViking" said:
Yeah, I don't miss the drama like the Bryant McKinnie holdout days when he didn't get signed until November.  It's way better now that drafted rookies are expected to be signed and showing up for all camps, practices and games.
It truly makes you wonder why they never thought of the rookie wage scale before.
Yeah the #1 picks becoming the highest paid players in the league was rather nuts.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"HappyViking" said:
Yeah, I don't miss the drama like the Bryant McKinnie holdout days when he didn't get signed until November.  It's way better now that drafted rookies are expected to be signed and showing up for all camps, practices and games.
It truly makes you wonder why they never thought of the rookie wage scale before.
Yeah the #1 picks becoming the highest paid players in the league was rather nuts.
It was nuts. But what i can't figure out is why it took so long for a rookie wage scale to become part of the CBA. Owners were obviously be for it. And veteran players, since it meant more money for them, should not have been opposed to it. I just don't know who argued against it. Agents and draft picks? Sure, but they don't have a say. Just one of the many things I don't understand I guess.