Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikes wanted Bryce Young
Quote: @BigAl99 said:
What if Malik Willis could be part of a deal for Cook, would that make a day 2 or 3 pick look better.  With Tannehill and Levis on board have heard some speculation that Willis may be available.
Jaren Hall is probably a better prospect at this point than Willis. (IMO)

What if Malik Willis could be part of a deal for Cook, would that make a day 2 or 3 pick look better.  With Tannehill and Levis on board have heard some speculation that Willis may be available.
I don't think Willis is part of any plans for any team. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
I’m glad the Vikings liked Young I guess, but so did almost every other team?

If the Vikings are serious about wanting the #1 prospect in the draft, then winning 13 games isn’t the way to go about it. Not saying that’s a bad thing at all— winning is great— but having our cake and getting to eat it too seems unlikely.
The Vikings are not going to get a top 10 pick any time in the near future. What this tells us is that they don't need one. They're prepared to send what it takes to move up for their guy. And apparently they don't want second best either. 

I do think Willis gets traded and I did hear that KOC really liked him coming out. So maybe, but it seems unlikely. I think with Cousins, Mullens and Hall we have our QBs for '23 and we'll try for the QBOTF in the draft again next year. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:

If the Vikings are serious about wanting the #1 prospect in the draft, then winning 13 games isn’t the way to go about it. Not saying that’s a bad thing at all— winning is great— but having our cake and getting to eat it too seems unlikely.
The Vikings are not going to get a top 10 pick any time in the near future. What this tells us is that they don't need one. They're prepared to send what it takes to move up for their guy. And apparently they don't want second best either. 
In this draft, the #1 spot was traded to Carolina.  While I think we can debate on whether the
Bears would have traded the #1 pick to us, there is no evidence that I know of
that the Vikings were in the conversation for trading up to #1, which is what
you would have to do to get the best QB in the draft.  In all other scenarios, you are talking about
getting the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th highest taken QB
and hoping that the teams above you picked wrong.  It’s a little oxy-moronic for the Vikings to
hone in on the best guy, when the best guy almost exclusively goes to the bad
team that earned the #1 and needs a QB and failing that, it’s a small trade
down for high draft capital.  How many
times in NFL history has it happened that a team drafting in the 20’s moved
into the top 5?  I think that the likelihood
of the Vikings trading into the top 5 from around 20 has to be less than 5% any
given year.  It’s certainly unlikely
enough that you aren’t going to plan for it. 
You wouldn’t cut Cousins knowing that you’d either do it this year or
next.

I think it’s much more likely that the Vikings have a list
of guys they think they could win with and guys that they don’t, and if one of
the top tiers of guys falls within range of a future 1st and a 3rd,
probably in that 10-13 range, they’ll pull the trigger, and if not they’ll keep
rolling with Cousins and drafting a QB later in the draft.

Quote: @medaille said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:

In this draft, the #1 spot was traded to Carolina.  While I think we can debate on whether the
Bears would have traded the #1 pick to us, there is no evidence that I know of
that the Vikings were in the conversation for trading up to #1, which is what
you would have to do to get the best QB in the draft. 
In all other scenarios, you are talking about
getting the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th highest taken QB
and hoping that the teams above you picked wrong.  It’s a little oxy-moronic for the Vikings to
hone in on the best guy, when the best guy almost exclusively goes to the bad
team that earned the #1 and needs a QB and failing that, it’s a small trade
down for high draft capital.  How many
times in NFL history has it happened that a team drafting in the 20’s moved
into the top 5?  I think that the likelihood
of the Vikings trading into the top 5 from around 20 has to be less than 5% any
given year.  It’s certainly unlikely
enough that you aren’t going to plan for it. 
You wouldn’t cut Cousins knowing that you’d either do it this year or
next.

I think it’s much more likely that the Vikings have a list
of guys they think they could win with and guys that they don’t, and if one of
the top tiers of guys falls within range of a future 1st and a 3rd,
probably in that 10-13 range, they’ll pull the trigger, and if not they’ll keep
rolling with Cousins and drafting a QB later in the draft.

According to the report, the Vikings were only interested in trading up if Young was not taken by Carolina. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:

Agree with the first sentence but not sure how you can draw that conclusion that we're prepared to spend what it takes to move up. I mean... we're definitely prepared to ASK what it takes to move up, sure. But actually spend? There's zero evidence this regime or the last (or the previous or...) is willing to bet the farm and trade a bundle for one QB.
I browse zillow every once in awhile to look at nice houses near me. Doesn't mean I can afford to buy them.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:

Agree with the first sentence but not sure how you can draw that conclusion that we're prepared to spend what it takes to move up. I mean... we're definitely prepared to ASK what it takes to move up, sure. But actually spend? There's zero evidence this regime or the last (or the previous or...) is willing to bet the farm and trade a bundle for one QB.
I browse zillow every once in awhile to look at nice houses near me. Doesn't mean I can afford to buy them.
It sounds like that if Young had dropped to 2 (more likely 3 IMO), the Vikings were interested in moving up to get him. That's all it means. No, of course it doesn't mean the team has to take your offer. But it's likely the Vikings had a competitive offer pre-negotiated with one of those teams. Otherwise, why bother? 

So much of all these “reports” is just smoke or
intentionally released information to try and get teams to do something.  Maybe it was released by a team trying to
improve their trade value for their pick. 
Maybe it was by an agent trying to get his player to get drafted
higher.  Maybe it was by the Vikings to
try and make it appear that they were trying to the portion of the fan base
that wants to move on from Kirk.

How do we differentiate whether it was just smoke vs whether
it was likely to happen?  It’s all just
some mystery person told a journalist to say a certain line.  But even if you assume that we were willing
to trade picks, what are the odds that in any given year, the QB we determine
to be the best falls down far enough that we can actually trade up to get them?

Quote: @medaille said:
So much of all these “reports” is just smoke or
intentionally released information to try and get teams to do something.  Maybe it was released by a team trying to
improve their trade value for their pick. 
Maybe it was by an agent trying to get his player to get drafted
higher.  Maybe it was by the Vikings to
try and make it appear that they were trying to the portion of the fan base
that wants to move on from Kirk.

How do we differentiate whether it was just smoke vs whether
it was likely to happen?  It’s all just
some mystery person told a journalist to say a certain line.  But even if you assume that we were willing
to trade picks, what are the odds that in any given year, the QB we determine
to be the best falls down far enough that we can actually trade up to get them?
We don't. It's all based on speculation and an assumption that the report was true. Is it possible it's not true at all? Of course. 

I tend to believe it has some merit because it was reported by Tom Pelissero and not some Twitter goon. And considering how much the Vikings looked into QBs at every level, I don't think it stretches the bounds of believability to think they were interested enough in Young to trade up for him if he fell to a particular slot.

To think the Vikings leaked it to convince the Kirk haters seems absurdly cynical and far less believable to me.