Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kaepernick.
Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
Let's say tomorrow the Vikings put Bradford on season-ending PUP, and tell us Bridgewater needs the rest of the year for rehab. I see these options (not in order!), what else?
A. Colin Kaepernick
B. Tony Romo - challenge to get Jones to release him, talk him out of the booth
C. Send draft picks to New England for Garropolo before trade deadline
D. Losin' for Rosen - flush the season and go for a new QB (I'm not specifically endorsing Rosen, I just couldn't think of a slogan to go with Darnold, Rudolph, Jackson, Allen...)
He's a worse pocket passer than Keenum.   I'd rather get RGIII if you're gonna go read-option guy who you think can somehow play real NFL qb ball.   The real option if things go south is tank it, play Keenum and/or Sloter and hope for a high draft pick.   There's no point wasting time and effort on some retread qb who is worse than what you've got and doesn't even know your system.   

The Vikings would be the last team in the Kap circus because of football reasons.  

football reason number one:
Bradfords injury at this point is looked at as a short term issue.  By the time Kap or any QB that was signed would be able to get up to speed with the Shermer offense it would be weeks.  Unless you want a replay of the Josh Freeman debacle.  So as soon as Kap was up to speed Bradford is back.

Football reason number two:
Case is an average backup quality QB and knows the offense.  That is the definition of a backup in this league.  Case will not and is not expected to compete for the starters Job.  Kap has let it be known he wants to start and want money as a possible starter.

Football reason number three:  
Teddy is waiting in the wings and by all acounts will be ready to go about mid season.  If Bradford has more issues with the knee Teddy is the plan for the second half of the season if Bradford goes down and Teddy is a way better QB then Kap.  So if you do need a long term replacement for Bradford Teddy is the man.

Just my two cents.

Quote: @"PSBLAKE" said:
The Vikings would be the last team in the Kap circus because of football reasons.  

Bradfords injury at this point is looked at as a short term issue.  By the time Kap or any QB that was signed would be able to get up to speed with the Shermer offense it would be weeks.  Unless you want a replay of the Josh Freeman debacle.  So as soon as Kap was up to speed Bradford is back.

Case is an average backup quality QB and knows the offense.  That is the definition of a backup in this league.  Case will not and is not expected to compete for the starters Job.  Kap has let it be known he wants to start and want money as a possible starter.

Teddy is waiting in the wings and by all acounts will be ready to go about mid season.  If Bradford has more issues with the knee Teddy is the plan for the second half of the season if Bradford goes down and Teddy is a way better QB then Kap.  So if you do need a long term replacement for Bradford Teddy is the man.

Just my two cents.
Your reasons are good (and football-oriented!), but I am unsure of this one:
    "Teddy is waiting in the wings and by all acounts will be ready to go about mid season."

Hardly ALL accounts agree about midseason; there is speculation ranging from "ready now" (physically) to "never play again".  I think the Vikings applying a PUP designation that must last at least through week 6 makes people think he will be ready then, but they could just leave him on it all year.

I may as well be first to suggest it. Shields up.

Bradford could miss a handfuls of games - and that might be a best-case scenario. Tell me why Kaepernick wouldn't be a better alternative than Case Keenum. Football reasons.

I've been looking for a reason to finally turn my back on this league for good.  I used to watch every broadcast NFL game.  I would record the ones I missed and watch them during the week.  These days it's tough for me to sit through a Vikings game.  Putting that piece of trash on the team would do it for me.

First that stupid, indoor stadium, and then these ungrateful, treasonous players.  It's becoming a sickening league.

@"PSBLAKE" said:

Just my two cents.
Your reasons are good (and football-oriented!), but I am unsure of this one:
    "Teddy is waiting in the wings and by all acounts will be ready to go about mid season."

Hardly ALL accounts agree about midseason; there is speculation ranging from "ready now" (physically) to "never play again".  I think the Vikings applying a PUP designation that must last at least through week 6 makes people think he will be ready then, but they could just leave him on it all year.
If i understand the 6 week pup list designation it allows the team to extend Teddies rookie contract for another year.  This allows the team to also bring Teddy back after that sixth game if needed.  Is Teddy ready to play righ this moment?  Probably not but I do believe the Vikings believe in hima nd want to give him every chance to come back this year if needed and next year for sure.  Putting Kaep into this situation only muddies the short tem and long term plans of the Vikings.  Kaep is not satisfied being a backup.  But I could be wrong.

Well, he would have to learn the playbook in a hurry. Bradford might have made it look easy last year, but its a tall order to walk in with no knowledge of an offense and run it. He doesnt know the protection schemes or the calls to adjust it, he doesnt know the language, he doesnt know the WR route trees. Its hard to learn it. A coaching staff can only make so many adjustments to the offense to compensate before they become limited on gameday stringing plays/drives together.

The coaching staff is also pretty dialed in to coaching the plethora of young guys we have in key positions; changing the offense right now would be a jarring change. We have CBs that struggle to cover, we've got LBers that need to step up and play at a consistent level. We have young lineman on both sides of the ball. A rookie RB. If Kaep isnt a long term solution, how much is continuity on offense worth? How much focus can go around to guys who need coaching attention if our offense suddenly needs a quick, midseason, week-to-week overhaul.

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
It will continue to be in the news as ling as he isn't on a team. NFL could have taken his message and ran with it and spun it into gold. They didn't and they will continue to deal with it. Thing is this issue is very much at heart with younger folks. NFL is having a serious attendance problem. And funny the NFL just hired someone to help reach younger people. A smart PR person or firm could have married his message with an overall one that talked about respect for one and other. They didn't and this issue will continue to haunt them. 

I respect Kaepernicks decision to exercise his rights. Personally I wouldn't go about it the same way but I am right there with him on the issue. However, I also don't believe that LEO's get paid anywhere near enough, do not get nearly enough training, or time away from the job. These people deserve quality time away from the job so that they can be the best they can be while on the job. They deserve to have pay scales that atteact the best they can. And they deserve to have the best training available. 

The NFL seriously missed an opportunity here and they now have accusations being thrown because they havent addressed it at all. Some may say it isnt their job to take on the issue. And that is true but when they don't then they get the fallout that they get. A while back the NBA took on the issue of violence and intimidation agains the lgbtq alphabet and it was a risk for them to do it, being that there is strong rejection within much of the black community (Yes I know I am both whitesplaining and hetero-mansplaining but at the time I read a lot about the campaign). That campaign we incredibly good for their sport at the time.
What message?  That there's inequity?  He urinated all over his own message with his Castro shirts, as that regime is exponentially more oppressive than anything legislated here...so his message is that he's an idiot.

Oh, wait, when he compared police to slave patrols...that was up there with the Adrian Peterson "slavery" stupidity as he was earning 8 digits per year for barely playing between injuries and child abuse scandals.  For that alone, I completely stand with cops that don't want to have any part of protecting him.

Is it when he said he show pride for a country that oppresses black people/people of color?  He'll never stand anywhere, then, as psychology has shown that even Black people are increasingly suspicious as skin hues darken.  I learned that in either psych 101 or 202.  I'll never argue that there aren't issues or that they don't need addressing, but the two biggest "martyrs" that have been shoved down our throats in recent years are:

1.  Trayvon Martin, who was initially reported to have been killed for simply being black and was shown in an old pic, smiling in his school band uniform.  Our prez at the time said his fictional "son could have looked like Trayvon".  Yet, we find out later that he was kicked out of school, was a subscriber to thug BS, and was found in possession of stolen goods while also bragging about getting a gun.  While George Zimmerman is, undeniably, a tool...this whole thing reeked of media-engineered outrage, all the way down to attempting to start a race war; it was hilarious when they backtracked with the "white Hispanic" babble.  They also were slow to report that GZ had Black friends and business partners most of his life.

2.  Mike Brown, who was doing his own pro-thuggery rap recordings, used a convenience store owner as a pinball just before his own tragic ending, and all evidence points to him attacking the cop that eventually killed him...despite the fictional "hands up, don't shoot" babble that was not involved in his actual situation.

The responses?  Media-created outrage outstrips the facts and it's somehow acceptable to vandalize, loot, and even burn uninvolved businesses and other property to the ground...hell, in Baltimore, the mayor sanctioned that behavior.  This is not a healthy direction, and is deepening divides rather than healing them.

The whole narrative is flawed, with terrible examples getting the most press.  There are other examples that are stronger, yet aren't chosen for headlines and/or systematic outrage.  CK doesn't strike me as any great figurehead for change, he comes across as the kind of babbling nitwits that scream for LGBT rights while wearing Che Guevera shirts.

CK says he'll stand with the people being oppressed, and picks high-profile media stuff to "stand" for...yet doesn't make a tenth as much noise about his desire to play, while letting the media be outraged at his unemployment.

This is like a truly awful SNL sketch, one that continues week after week.

Quote: @"jargomcfargo" said:
Putting the politics aside, it still would have been a loss at Pittsburgh. And bringing in any QB at the last minute would likely be a waste of money.
A number of people here seem to think Keenum is a good back up. I just don't see it. No need to compound a mistake by making another!
I'm here to eat my crow! Quite happily I might add.
Keenum was slow to make the decision to throw and failed to step up into the pocket against the Steelers. He was very decisive and quick to make his reads and throw yesterday. He's much better than I thought he was.
The Vikings appear to have an offense which makes them a dangerous team when paired with the defense.

The main problem with Kaep and the protests is that the foundation of their complaint is laid upon blatant falsehoods. Research is very clear on this. Even researchers who set out to prove police shooting racism found it to be completely untrue. So we have been thrust into a world of irrational responses from all levels of society, to our overall detriment. This embrace of cognitive dissonance is destructive to the moral fabric of our society. It is morally reprehensible to encourage this lunacy despite overwhelming evidence contrary to claims. The NFL actions this weekend by some players, coaches and owners was disgusting. These actions perpetuate a dangerous thought process, putting our law enforcement lives in further danger, as well as those of civilians. The lies this movement has been built upon and propogated by, are not my opinion, they are fact. Things like forensic science in the Michael Brown case proving the officer's statements and disproving "witnesses" (who nearly all later admitted they lied) is just one example. This again, is well documented in the available study literature. To me, it is morally imperative to denounce any such fallacies that go against a foundational principle of this grand experiment we call the US: reason. The flag is not just about the military, it is about showing respect for and honoring what it took to create and now maintain, this special natural gift provided to its citizens. Protest itself is very American, protest of the flag of this country is very un-American in my opinion, at least when based in fallacy or essentially bullshit. This encouragement and propogation of lunacy must be faced head on, before it devolves into chaos. Personally, I dont think people understand the damage being done to youth when reason and logic are tossed aside for make believe. Those are my thoughts anyhow = Kaep should never be a Viking.