Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hunter won't attend voluntary offseason program
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
How many times do we have to redo his deal to make him happy?  Danielle...  quit putting your signature on the dotted line if you're going to complain about it a year later.
The only contract Hunter actually signed was the one 5 years ago, which is now ridiculously outdated. Everything we've done with his contract between then and now has been salary to bonus conversions that require neither his signature or his permission. 

So...Hunter signs a team-friendly deal and wants to revisit and ya'll mad cuz he was hurt a couple years ago. Cousins, who's never been hurt, wants market value and ya'll mad cuz he won't sign a team-friendly deal.  Ya'll just mad all damn the time. LOL. 
We guaranteed money multiple times that wasn't guaranteed on his original deal.  All the while he missed most of two seasons of that five year deal and we could have cut him at any point and he would have had to play for what he got paid on the open market (which wouldn't have been much guaranteed coming off two major injuries).

The Vikings did right by him considering they didn't have to do anything with it.  Sorry, but I don't have any sympathy for a player when you sign a long-term deal, have a major injury two years in, and then start barking about getting paid more?  And keep making your contract an issue?

I'm all for players getting paid what they deserve, but Danielle can't be that tone deaf to expect the Vikings to fork over a 20+ mil per year deal when we didn't know if he was the same player from a couple years ago.

Maybe we pay him now, but I don't know if he's worth Watt or Bosa money. 

Well, now we do. If we're going to use injuries to gauge value, TJ Watt missed 7 games last year. He had 5.5 sacks and 13 pressures. Danielle Hunter missed 0 games, had 10.5 sacks and 34 pressures. Watt's base salary is $20M this year, Hunter's $4.9M. Watt's cap hit this year is $29M, Hunter's is $13M. 

[Image: bigbird-one-of-these-things-is-not-like-the-others.gif] 
Who cares what his base salary or cap hit in any given year is?  His average compensation per year was $14.4M.  Just because he already got paid the bulk of
his money already doesn’t mean that he’s getting shortchanged or whatever.  In fact he made out better getting paid that
money earlier, because he had the opportunity to invest it or whatever.  Hell, lets spin it as the Vikings doing him
the favor.  Did the market get crazy since
he agreed and signed the contract, sure. 
Should he try to get his? 
Absolutely.  Should the Vikings try
and extend him again.  Of course.  The only time that 4.9M should matter is if
he’s burned through all his money and needs a new paycheck that’s bigger than
4.9M for whatever reason.

Quote: @medaille said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
How many times do we have to redo his deal to make him happy?  Danielle...  quit putting your signature on the dotted line if you're going to complain about it a year later.
The only contract Hunter actually signed was the one 5 years ago, which is now ridiculously outdated. Everything we've done with his contract between then and now has been salary to bonus conversions that require neither his signature or his permission. 

So...Hunter signs a team-friendly deal and wants to revisit and ya'll mad cuz he was hurt a couple years ago. Cousins, who's never been hurt, wants market value and ya'll mad cuz he won't sign a team-friendly deal.  Ya'll just mad all damn the time. LOL. 
We guaranteed money multiple times that wasn't guaranteed on his original deal.  All the while he missed most of two seasons of that five year deal and we could have cut him at any point and he would have had to play for what he got paid on the open market (which wouldn't have been much guaranteed coming off two major injuries).

The Vikings did right by him considering they didn't have to do anything with it.  Sorry, but I don't have any sympathy for a player when you sign a long-term deal, have a major injury two years in, and then start barking about getting paid more?  And keep making your contract an issue?

I'm all for players getting paid what they deserve, but Danielle can't be that tone deaf to expect the Vikings to fork over a 20+ mil per year deal when we didn't know if he was the same player from a couple years ago.

Well, now we do. If we're going to use injuries to gauge value, TJ Watt missed 7 games last year. He had 5.5 sacks and 13 pressures. Danielle Hunter missed 0 games, had 10.5 sacks and 34 pressures. Watt's base salary is $20M this year, Hunter's $4.9M. Watt's cap hit this year is $29M, Hunter's is $13M. 

Who cares what his base salary or cap hit in any given year is?  His average compensation per year was $14.4M.  Just because he already got paid the bulk of
his money already doesn’t mean that he’s getting shortchanged or whatever.  In fact he made out better getting paid that
money earlier, because he had the opportunity to invest it or whatever.  Hell, lets spin it as the Vikings doing him
the favor.  Did the market get crazy since
he agreed and signed the contract, sure. 
Should he try to get his? 
Absolutely.  Should the Vikings try
and extend him again.  Of course. 
The only time that 4.9M should matter is if
he’s burned through all his money and needs a new paycheck that’s bigger than
4.9M for whatever reason.

Then what are we arguing about? I'm happy to hear we all agree. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:

You're right one is not like the other.  TJ Watt was the DPOY in 2021 with 22.5 sacks.  He also had 13 or more sacks the past 4 seasons prior to missing some games in 2022.

Hunter started off his career strong but then missed most of two seasons and had a solid year last year.  At this point, I wouldn't pay Hunter close to T.J. Watt money.  His average of 14.4 mil per year is right in line with Barrett, Demarcus Lawrence, and other good edge rushers.

I'd give him a slight bump in that 16-18 range with guarantees for the first 2-3 years depending on the term.  If he wants Watt money, trade him for a first round pick and some change.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/vikings...00-to-2022

The last time the Vikings had a good defense was 2019.  

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:

You're right one is not like the other.  TJ Watt was the DPOY in 2021 with 22.5 sacks.  He also had 13 or more sacks the past 4 seasons prior to missing some games in 2022.

Hunter started off his career strong but then missed most of two seasons and had a solid year last year.  At this point, I wouldn't pay Hunter close to T.J. Watt money.  His average of 14.4 mil per year is right in line with Barrett, Demarcus Lawrence, and other good edge rushers.

I'd give him a slight bump in that 16-18 range with guarantees for the first 2-3 years depending on the term.  If he wants Watt money, trade him for a first round pick and some change.
Agreed, I like Hunter but he's overrated. His production on the field doesn't quite live up to the fan's hype. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:

Agreed, I like Hunter but he's overrated. His production on the field doesn't quite live up to the fan's hype. 
I think Recency Bias is factoring into this debate. When you consider he was expected to perform at a high level in a shit scheme that didn't fit his skill set last year, plus you add in the 2 injury seasons before that, I can see the pushback on paying him $18-$20 Million. He looked completely lost the first half of last season. Now he has to learn another Scheme, and Flores has to decide if and how he fits in his Defense. Lots to sort through and figure out. He has a Dead Cap Hit this year of $18,860,000!!! If we trade him before June 1st, all of that hits our Cap this year minus his $4.9 Million Salary, and his $500,000 Roster Bonus. If we trade him after June 1st, then you can spread the Dead Cap as $7,620,000 this year, and $11,240,000 in 2024. I just don't see a Trade happening. A new extension makes more sense, Brez will just have to get creative on how to make it work for this year. I suspect there will have to be other restructures to free up some money for Hunter. 

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:

Except that Lawrence and Barrett aren’t even in Hunter’s league. Lawrence has been in the NFL one more season than Hunter and has 17 fewer sacks. Barrett has also been in the NFL one more season than Hunter and also has 17 fewer sacks. This despite the fact that Hunter played one fewer season AND missed the bulk of two more due to injury.
But playing edge in the NFL is about more than just sacks, isn’t it?  It’s about how you manage double teams, run defense and coverage ability. PFF, which factors in all of these, graded Hunter 7th among edge defenders. Lawrence ranked 32nd and Barrett 47th. 

C’mon. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:

Beyond all that, Hunter turns 29 this fall putting him at the point where edge rushers typically start to decline a little.  He played ok but wasn't a big impact guy last year;  his injuries derailed his HOF trajectory and that's just something he'll have to realize at some point.  I'm with Wetlander - Vikings paid him well while he sat for most of two years, I'm not in the let's pay him more camp.