Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smith-Njigba Anyone?
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
JSN's measurables and combine performance is going to matter. I don't necessarily think he is limited to the slot like many draft analysts think. There is this weird connotation that if you are not a box-out receiver or taking the top off, you can't play outside. The Vikings honestly don't run down the field all that much which kind of suits JSN in many ways. I could see them liking him due to the fit in this offense on the outside. He honestly has a lot of similarities to Thielen/Robert Woods. 
Is our not running down field on deep routes mostly by design or do we not have the horses or "deep threats" to get down field? I don't think Thielen or KJ are real down field threats and that's why they took a failed shot at Reagor prior to the season starting. It was a problem prior to the season and becomes even more problematic if we lose Thielen. We CAN NOT allow teams to simply double team Jefferson at leisure and not make them pay. Adding another big play receiver needs to be a priority for this team regardless of Thielen and that doesn't mean bringing in DJ Chark or someone of that caliber. 

I agree on your Smith-Njigba take and comp. I think he will be a really good player and I'd have no issue if we drafted him at #23, but think Hyatt has more of the type of skill set that we lack. 
Agree all-around. Don't necessarily know if I like JSN's Vikings fit either since getting someone to break teams trying to play 2-high will do them more good. When it comes to KJ I am a little surprised they didn't run him deeper out of the slot much. He actually is rather good in that role, they just didn't do it. 
KJ's and Thielen's role seemed very ambiguous to me throughout the season. Also, those two seemed to struggle with gaining separation the most of any of our pass catchers. Not sure if that was due to route design, or other factors. Thielen may have lost a step, but he is an excellent route runner. KJ is also praised for his route running so not sure why both of them didn't flash open more in the passing attack. Maybe they were open more than we thought and Kirk didn't look their way. Maybe Geoff can shed some light on that since he has film access. Regardless, I'm all in favor of drafting another pass catcher in the first round depending on who falls to us at 23, or if we can trade down to the end of the 1st and get another pick or two. Even if the Vikings and Thielen can work out a new deal you can never have enough weapons. 

We will need to diversify the passing attack beyond JJ and Hockenson and I'm banking on Flores improving the talent we have in the Secondary without investing in another 1st Round Corner.