Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential candidates for new D Coordinator
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@TBro said:
@supafreak84 said:
They apparently interviewed Pettine today. No thanks, as he was part of the problem..
I'm not really interested in Flores. Desai might be ok. To me, the guy most interesting is the guy from New Orleans. Still think it would be worth interviewing someone from that Bengals defensive staff before all is said and done 
To me, that was more out of Courtesy than anything else. I doubt he will be on the new staff when the season starts. The competition for the best D Coordinators is heating up as several are being considered for HC positions like Flores with the Cardinals, or have several interviews pending or completed with other teams. Nielsen and Desai have met with several other teams already. We better identify who we want quickly and aggressively go after them. Why Flores would consider the Cardinals when they are part of the same lawsuit is baffling to me. Seems more like a Rooney Rule check the box thing than real interest. Hope I'm wrong for his sake because he deserves another opportunity after the shit show in Miami. I also wish Evero is on KOC's short list but I'm guessing that Denver is only letting him interview for Head Coach openings which he already has with the Texans and Colts. 
The Vikings are planning to see how some of the HC scenarios shake out before making an immediate decision on DC. Evero is someone who is high on the list, he is interested in working with KOC as well. His situation with Denver even in a lateral move isn't an issue. So until he gets a HC job would anticipate him being an under the radar candidate. 

If Evero goes elsewhere I have been led to believe Desai is the top candidate. Mainly with the intention of staying with the 3-4 base. He runs the Fangio system as well but has proven to be much more aggressive than Donatelle was. He is also known as a strong teacher. 
well if KOC is hell bent on staying in a 34,  and the goal is the Fangio system.... why not just bring in the guy that gets credit for the system?  Is Fangio not interested in the Vikings opening,  or is it the other way around?
Fangio isn't interested nor have the Vikings really reciprocated interest due to some culture aspects. But all in all I don't think that going with Evero or Desai means they are going to simply mimic Fangio's approach either. There are iterations to how that defense is run. I also think the Vikings want the defense to better fit the personnel than simply force players to perform roles they aren't good at. E.G Kendricks playing switch-zone over the middle & leaving Harry as a 2-high safety the majority of the time. 
curious what you mean by "cultural aspects"

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@TBro said:
@supafreak84 said:
They apparently interviewed Pettine today. No thanks, as he was part of the problem..
I'm not really interested in Flores. Desai might be ok. To me, the guy most interesting is the guy from New Orleans. Still think it would be worth interviewing someone from that Bengals defensive staff before all is said and done 
To me, that was more out of Courtesy than anything else. I doubt he will be on the new staff when the season starts. The competition for the best D Coordinators is heating up as several are being considered for HC positions like Flores with the Cardinals, or have several interviews pending or completed with other teams. Nielsen and Desai have met with several other teams already. We better identify who we want quickly and aggressively go after them. Why Flores would consider the Cardinals when they are part of the same lawsuit is baffling to me. Seems more like a Rooney Rule check the box thing than real interest. Hope I'm wrong for his sake because he deserves another opportunity after the shit show in Miami. I also wish Evero is on KOC's short list but I'm guessing that Denver is only letting him interview for Head Coach openings which he already has with the Texans and Colts. 
The Vikings are planning to see how some of the HC scenarios shake out before making an immediate decision on DC. Evero is someone who is high on the list, he is interested in working with KOC as well. His situation with Denver even in a lateral move isn't an issue. So until he gets a HC job would anticipate him being an under the radar candidate. 

If Evero goes elsewhere I have been led to believe Desai is the top candidate. Mainly with the intention of staying with the 3-4 base. He runs the Fangio system as well but has proven to be much more aggressive than Donatelle was. He is also known as a strong teacher. 
well if KOC is hell bent on staying in a 34,  and the goal is the Fangio system.... why not just bring in the guy that gets credit for the system?  Is Fangio not interested in the Vikings opening,  or is it the other way around?
Fangio isn't interested nor have the Vikings really reciprocated interest due to some culture aspects. But all in all I don't think that going with Evero or Desai means they are going to simply mimic Fangio's approach either. There are iterations to how that defense is run. I also think the Vikings want the defense to better fit the personnel than simply force players to perform roles they aren't good at. E.G Kendricks playing switch-zone over the middle & leaving Harry as a 2-high safety the majority of the time. 
I don't think they are looking for someone out of the Mike Zimmer mold who is going to largely take over that side of the ball and manage it their way. KOC although heavily involved in the offense wants to be involved in all 3 phases. So looking for someone who will clearly own the defense but still be open to opinions/critique. 

As it goes for Desai, I would tend to think that there were learning with Donatell. I guess you could say that it is possible to come back and say you hired the wrong guy or didn't necessarily ask all of the right questions. If they are ok with the broader scheme swapping out Donatell for Desai who may be more aggressive or flexible could be a good middle ground. I know some are fearful of the scheme itself, it is a good scheme. Many teams run it. The Vikings just did not run if effectively/were not taught well. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@TBro said:
@supafreak84 said:

I don't think they are looking for someone out of the Mike Zimmer mold who is going to largely take over that side of the ball and manage it their way. KOC although heavily involved in the offense wants to be involved in all 3 phases. So looking for someone who will clearly own the defense but still be open to opinions/critique. 

As it goes for Desai, I would tend to think that there were learning with Donatell. I guess you could say that it is possible to come back and say you hired the wrong guy or didn't necessarily ask all of the right questions. If they are ok with the broader scheme swapping out Donatell for Desai who may be more aggressive or flexible could be a good middle ground. I know some are fearful of the scheme itself, it is a good scheme. Many teams run it. The Vikings just did not run if effectively/were not taught well. 
imo as long as KOC wants to be his own play caller on O,  he really needs to focus on that aspect of the game and hire a guy that will be able to run the D during the game.   KOC cant be working on defensive adjustments while calling plays,  so aside from making a quick comment here and there,  what can he really do on game days?  either give up play calling duties,  or find a DC that will run the D and give it the focus it deserves.

as far as coaches and special teamers... I kind of feel snake bitten on that one and think maybe the HC should stay the hell out of the ST room,  but KOC is likely not going to be a problem there.

@TBro said:
@supafreak84 said:

Heard anything about any interest in Jim Leonhard?

Quote: @ilovebritney said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@TBro said:
@supafreak84 said:

I head his name mentioned somewhere and the thought was he was not wanting to leave the college ranks.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@ilovebritney said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@TBro said:
@supafreak84 said:

I head his name mentioned somewhere and the thought was he was not wanting to leave the college ranks.
He would be a great hire if he could be convinced to coach in the NFL. I had him on my early list. 

If the Vikings switch back to a 4-3  I won't complain.

Quote: @Mattyman said:
If the Vikings switch back to a 4-3  I won't complain.
Not happening. KOC has a hard on for this Fangio scheme he is determined to run. 

@TBro said:
@supafreak84 said:

Evero seems to be a pretty hot HC candidate. If he doesn't land one this year he may very well get another shot soon thereafter, which would lead us to possibly searching for another DC (3 in 3 years?). I know you should just hire the best candidate, but it would suck having to replace another coach so soon after hiring him.

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@TBro said:
@supafreak84 said:

Evero seems to be a pretty hot HC candidate. If he doesn't land one this year he may very well get another shot soon thereafter, which would lead us to possibly searching for another DC (3 in 3 years?). I know you should just hire the best candidate, but it would suck having to replace another coach so soon after hiring him.
There is always that risk. I thought Flores would be a good choice for that exact reason but even he looks to be the frontrunner for the Cardinals Head Coaching job.