Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings should resign Bradbury
Saw a tweet about the top upcoming free agent centers and it made me wonder if the Vikings will try to resign Bradbury. FWIW, here are the top five centers according to the tweet. I looked up their 2022 PFF grade and put it next to each player. 

1 Ethan Pocic, Cleveland - 83.0
2 Connor McGovern, NY - 73.8
3 Garrett Bradbury, Minnesota - 70.2
4 Bradley Bozeman, Carolina - 71.6
5 Austin Blythe, Seattle - 51.1
I think there’s a lesson to be learned in Pocic. Like Bradbury, he wasn’t very good his first several seasons, with PFF grades in the 40s and 50s, ranking nearly last among all centers. 

After 4 seasons he re-signed with Seattle on a one-year, $3M contract. That year he graded 67. But strangely, after that season, he signed with the Browns for less than half that on a 1-year, prove it deal for $1.2M. Chump change. On one of the best OLs in the NFL in Cleveland, the light went on for Pocic. He is now the 3rd highest graded center in the NFL. 
Sometimes it takes time. 

Bradbury's physical limitations can't be fixed. The commitment to Cousins looks like it will continue for several more seasons while he is playing at the high level he is. You need a center who can anchor the interior OLine and that isn't him. The one thing he is good at is blocking in space for the running game but even that is sucking big time for us right now anytime we play a physical defense that consistently pushes Bradbury into Cousins's lap with a bull rush. If that is the best option then so be it, but I would like to think we could find someone who is more physically imposing. At the rate our running game is deteriorating, Kwesi and KOC will have some decisions to make and where to focus their efforts on adding resources. I doubt Cook will be back next year as this team continues to focus more on the passing game. 

yep, I’m on board. Retain the entire line. Bring continuity to it for the first time in a long time. 

I was hoping that a new staff and offensive minded head coach might help a few players on that side of the ball, and it certainly did with Bradbury. You probably won't have to break the bank for a center, and having that continuity along the line would be tremendous.

Quote: @"PurpleCrush" said:
I was hoping that a new staff and offensive minded head coach might help a few players on that side of the ball, and it certainly did with Bradbury. You probably won't have to break the bank for a center, and having that continuity along the line would be tremendous.
This. I think the potential benefit outweighs the potential cost. I think we might be able to get Bradbury for 2nd tier free agent money, and having the same five back next year is a big boost to the offense, which should see a much more productive Cousins in his second year in the system. 

I would like to see an upgrade. But given all the needs on defense, I would be surprised to see it. I guess it may depend on how much he will cost and whether they want to commi8t to him long term.

We need some stability at this point. I really hope the best for Darrisaw because he is such a gifted athlete and a good guy. 

Quote: @"jargomcfargo" said:
I would like to see an upgrade. But given all the needs on defense, I would be surprised to see it. I guess it may depend on how much he will cost and whether they want to commi8t to him long term.
With all the upgrades on defense needed, I’m just hoping they dont do a significant downgrade. 

This year needs to be all about figuring out how to lower Thielens and maybe even Cook’s cap number. Darrisaw and Jefferson are going to be big numbers. 

id like to move on from bradbury given his limitations in pass pro, maybe a frontloaded 2 year deal if a better option is unlikely. he doesnt deserve a big contract based on his body of work. 

Quote: @"Bullazin" said:
id like to move on from bradbury given his limitations in pass pro, maybe a frontloaded 2 year deal if a better option is unlikely. he doesnt deserve a big contract based on his body of work. 
They have definitely missed Bradbury the last couple of games.