Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lack of Explosives on Offense
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I read where Vikings are bottom 1/3rd in explosive plays (20+ more yards) this season

TJH will get you that 12, not the 22 or 33 yarders
- JJ avg yards per catch has gone up almost 5 yards since TJH arrived!

AT, KJO and Dalvin Cook - which of these will be here next season?
Cook, doesnt look like the same player anymore
AT doesnt look like the same player anymore
KJO - has not taken that step forward I was hoping for coming off last season

JJ - best player on the Vikings

Vikings are going to need to shed cap and add firepower to pair with JJ in future seasons
The entire run game has been a disaster since Darrisaw got injured, so while Dalvin is a part of that, he still has some juice. About 1/3 their rushes don't make it past the LOS which is horrific. 

Trading for Hockenson is really the only reason the offense has stayed somewhat productive, but they've really schemed him in specific ways to open up Jefferson. That part is working well. Since the trade Jefferson's aDOT has moved up from 8.11 to 13.04 yards and JJ now accounts for 50% of the Vikings targets 10 yards or greater. Different conversation, but MVP level output. 

Thielen still is running crisp routes so his separation numbers are ok on paper. But on film he's lost the ability to win vertically which limits his effectiveness in the route tree. You used to see him win on deep crossers, posts, etc. Now its more curls and outs where precision > speed/explosiveness. Wouldn't it be a great time to have Jameson Williams? Not necessarily since I think he'll be some alpha #1, but the speed threat alone would open things up so much. 

After the season they'll have to decide whether to move AT into the slot long-term which could work. They just don't have the personnel right now since KJ can't play on the outside. 

The wild card in all of this is I think that Irv could really play into their scheme down the stretch. If they get into some 2 TE sets I think they could manipulate defense' enough to really manipulate a lot of what they're doing with Hock to get some freebies for AT & KJ.