Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misc. Thoughts: Lions
  • Coaching:  This is the first game where I thought the Vikings were outcoached in all 3 aspects of the game.  Part of me wants to believe that the Vikes held things back (at least on offense) in case the Vikes face the Lions again.  Here is the thing that I really don't get -- Donatell seems to be the complete opposite of KOC in that Donatell seems to want the players to adjust to the scheme while KOC tries to adjust the scheme to fit the players talents.  I may be wrong, but it feels like Donatell just trots out the same game plan week after week.  He is a magician -- he has made Danielle Hunter disappear.  Additionally, unlike KOC, the defense does not ply situational football -- it is really irritating watching at times. The only thing that appears to have improved is the run defense.  KOC is not without problems -- he has made the run game disappear.
  • A Few Plays:  Many, many games are decided on just a few plays.  Putting aside the stupid Dalvin Cook pass, I think back to two plays -- one the Hockenson drop and one the Jefferson catch just short of the first down.  Though they lost, they lost to a divisional rival, on the road, and with 3 missing starters.  Hopefully, KOC and coaches process this and learn from the loss.  Sometimes you learn more from a loss than a win.
  • JJ:  'Nuff said.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
  • Coaching:  This is the first game where I thought the Vikings were outcoached in all 3 aspects of the game.  Part of me wants to believe that the Vikes held things back (at least on offense) in case the Vikes face the Lions again.  Here is the thing that I really don't get -- Donatell seems to be the complete opposite of KOC in that Donatell seems to want the players to adjust to the scheme while KOC tries to adjust the scheme to fit the players talents.  I may be wrong, but it feels like Donatell just trots out the same game plan week after week.  He is a magician -- he has made Danielle Hunter disappear.  Additionally, unlike KOC, the defense does not ply situational football -- it is really irritating watching at times. The only thing that appears to have improved is the run defense.  KOC is not without problems -- he has made the run game disappear.
  • A Few Plays:  Many, many games are decided on just a few plays.  Putting aside the stupid Dalvin Cook pass, I think back to two plays -- one the Hockenson drop and one the Jefferson catch just short of the first down.  Though they lost, they lost to a divisional rival, on the road, and with 3 missing starters.  Hopefully, KOC and coaches process this and learn from the loss.  Sometimes you learn more from a loss than a win.
Interestingly, watching Pete B break down JJ's catches, the lions were loading the box to stop the run.  8 men in the box, single high safety.  No wonder JJ had a record day.

And that catch short of the first down, it was a first down.  

Quote: @greediron said:
@VikingOracle said:
Interestingly, watching Pete B break down JJ's catches, the lions were loading the box to stop the run.  8 men in the box, single high safety.  No wonder JJ had a record day.

And don't forget JJ's TD that wasn't. Definitely needs to be included in the few plays that could have changed the game.

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
@greediron said:
@VikingOracle said:

And don't forget JJ's TD that wasn't. Definitely needs to be included in the few plays that could have changed the game.
Yes, although we scored less than a minute later, that was such a bad call.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
Not only have we seen the run game disappear, the big plays in this offense have disappeared.  Not enamored with these offensive game plans, too inconsistent, not enough big plays for the talent.  The amount of run plays for 0 or negative are insane.  The long stretches of no offensive output, makes no sense.

One of the plays that we haven't discussed because it was early, was the 4th and 1 we went for.  I know you are disappointed that your planned out first drive wasn't effective (QB chose the wrong receiver on 3rd down, going under and safe with Reagor open on the second level), but why go for it?  Just punt it and pin them, get another 3 and out like the first drive.  Not only did we have a terrible play call for 4th down, they took a shot when they had the momentum and we gave them a quick 7.  That was frustrating to watch.

JJ was robbed on that TD, that would have be another highlight reel play from the kid.  He's a fucking superstar that not only deserves more praise, but more TD opportunities.  Where would this offense be without having the league's best WR?