Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Note to KOC
Dalvin looks like he's on the decline and Mattison should have gotten more carries to beat-down the Patriots last night. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Dalvin looks like he's on the decline and Mattison should have gotten more carries to beat-down the Patriots last night. 
Been on this boat all year. 

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"jargomcfargo" said:
Can't commit to a run game that only gets -2yards to +2yds. It's not the running backs. It's a shit O'line.
Need some bigger stronger horses on the interior. Not going to happen this year.
Cook is tending to look for home runs to often and not just taking the yards that are there.  When things are clicking,  ok dance a bit,  but when yards are coming at a premium I saw him moving laterally behind the LOS on multiple occasions last night,   despite there being positive yards available,   and several of those indecisive runs he ended up with negative or zero yards.   No OL,  especially ours, is going to consistently hit every block that springs the RB,  I think Cook needs to get back to just pounding what is there and wearing down the opposing LBs and safeties,   those big runs will come.
I noticed that too.  The one that stood out the most was on a 2nd and 2 and he danced around when there was a clear hole to slam through for the first down and he only got a yard.
Yep, saw that too. But in his defense, I only saw it once. And not any other time all year. So not enough for a narrative. Best part was that even though the run game never popped, as @Bullazin said, we stuck with it and that made a big difference. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"jargomcfargo" said:
Can't commit to a run game that only gets -2yards to +2yds. It's not the running backs. It's a shit O'line.
Need some bigger stronger horses on the interior. Not going to happen this year.
Cook is tending to look for home runs to often and not just taking the yards that are there.  When things are clicking,  ok dance a bit,  but when yards are coming at a premium I saw him moving laterally behind the LOS on multiple occasions last night,   despite there being positive yards available,   and several of those indecisive runs he ended up with negative or zero yards.   No OL,  especially ours, is going to consistently hit every block that springs the RB,  I think Cook needs to get back to just pounding what is there and wearing down the opposing LBs and safeties,   those big runs will come.
I noticed that too.  The one that stood out the most was on a 2nd and 2 and he danced around when there was a clear hole to slam through for the first down and he only got a yard.
Yep, saw that too. But in his defense, I only saw it once. And not any other time all year. So not enough for a narrative. Best part was that even though the run game never popped, as @Bullazin said, we stuck with it and that made a big difference. 
I've seen it on more than 1 occasion and in more than 1 game,  seems to be a bit more after popping those couple longer runs a few weeks ago.  There's a time and place for east west,  or dancing,  but its not nearly as often as just pounding it when the situation calls for it.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"jargomcfargo" said:
I agree completely. What makes Cook good has been his patience and ready to flash when the hole opens up. Last night, his patience lost him yards, as the holes collapsed instead of opening up (due to pourous O-line). I was screaming at my TV last night for him to hit the designed hole immediately.......

I don’t think Cook is good at making good decisions situationally. There is a time and place for everything. Sometimes 2 yards are ok, specially when you need a yard and a half.
He patiently waits for a hole so he can hit a big run. Teams don’t always need you to take it to the house. Get the first down and live to play another set of downs. 

Vikings last 4 games have gone  against 4 above average Dlines (Washington, Buffalo, Dallas and NE)

The best way to soften a Dline IMO, is  to go directly at it.

At times I think Mattison would be more effective than Cook. 

Quote: @"Mattyman" said:
Vikings last 4 games have gone  against 4 above average Dlines (Washington, Buffalo, Dallas and NE)

The best way to soften a Dline IMO, is  to go directly at it.

At times I think Mattison would be more effective than Cook. 
Agree, definitely a more downhill runner which I think they need more of.