Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why was Cam Jordan blocked by a damn TE so often??
He had a day but mostly against TE blocking, which was infuriating. The majority of the time I'd watch him make a play, see the replay of who was blocking him and it wasn't a OT or guard. Like WTF?

This drives me nuts too... but it's not just O'Connell, most NFL teams do this.  In theory, the coaches hope the backside TE can get enough of the DE to keep him from catching the RB from behind.  The play is a run away from that player so it "should" work...  Problem is when your TE doesn't even get a piece of him and the RB hesitates for a half second...  it lets that DE have a chance to catch it from the backside. If we are going to do that, I'd rather have a 6th lineman lined up at TE than Irv, Mundt, or Ellefson.

As long as we are on the suject of WHY,  why in the same hell are opposing teams finding it so easy to run outside on our version of  3-4 D?  when you have 4 LBs you are already much wider than  the offensive set,  how in the hell can we have 2 all pro level type OLBs,  that have both played DE in a 43, and they are unable to set an edge? and as long as we are on the subject of LBs, How can we have 2 tackling machine ILBs that seem to have just disappeared in this 34?  Did Hicks even play yesterday,  I dont recall his name being called once.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
As long as we are on the suject of WHY,  why in the same hell are opposing teams finding it so easy to run outside on our version of  3-4 D?  when you have 4 LBs you are already much wider than  the offensive set,  how in the hell can we have 2 all pro level type OLBs,  that have both played DE in a 43, and they are unable to set an edge? and as long as we are on the subject of LBs, How can we have 2 tackling machine ILBs that seem to have just disappeared in this 34?  Did Hicks even play yesterday,  I dont recall his name being called once.
I don't have an answer but, setting the edge against the run is Zadarius' biggest weaknesses. Hunter is pretty good at it though.

Quote: @"jargomcfargo" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
I don't have an answer but, setting the edge against the run is Zadarius' biggest weaknesses. Hunter is pretty good at it though.
there are so many plays that its not even attempted,  the OLB takes an inside leverage position against the outside blocker and its game over right off the bat,  this is basic shit that is taught at a very young age to edge defenders,  you cant give up that edge,  your help is inside and you have to force the run back to your help.  D101,  hell this isnt even a college course,  this is elementary pop warner / flag football type shit.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"jargomcfargo" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
there are so many plays that its not even attempted,  the OLB takes an inside leverage position against the outside blocker and its game over right off the bat,  this is basic shit that is taught at a very young age to edge defenders,  you cant give up that edge,  your help is inside and you have to force the run back to your help.  D101,  hell this isnt even a college course,  this is elementary pop warner / flag football type shit.

I've seen this from Patrick Jones a lot. Usually any big outside run has 91 crashing inside the OT and leaving the safety and CB in a position where they need to make the tackle.  Not sure if that is how it's being coached, but seems really dumb.  Hope that stuff gets cleaned up. 

As far as our ILBs, Hicks has been playing well and so has Kendricks (been a beast in pass coverage) but Kendricks doesnt have the size to play the run effectively in a 3-4.  He's not a thumper filling gaps, he's a side line to sideline tackler who is very good in coverage.

Quote: @"jargomcfargo" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Wonnum is probably a better run defender than Z.