Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What could have been.

Brownies must have been the more sane franchise at the time...Said no to the pick + players?

As I recall, this was like the prior season with Spielman and Zimmer; Mike Lynn made the trade, but, as I recall, Jerry Burns was not onboard with it.  Burns never really tailored the offense for Walker (even after that first game).  It was the beginning of the end for both.  So important for the GM and coach to be on the same page.  As they say, those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
As I recall, this was like the prior season with Spielman and Zimmer; Mike Lynn made the trade, but, as I recall, Jerry Burns was not onboard with it.  Burns never really tailored the offense for Walker (even after that first game).  It was the beginning of the end for both.  So important for the GM and coach to be on the same page.  As they say, those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
Jimmy Johnson bragged about fleecing the Vikings if I recall.  Convinced them that he needed bodies for his team, so Lynn included a bunch of mediocre players.  Then Dallas cut them and reaped the conditional draft picks since they didn't make the roster.

I am more pissed about the NFL allowing Bernie Kosar to avoid the regular draft and go to the supplemental so he could stay in Cleveland after the Vikings traded up to get him. THAT WAS COMPLETE BS.  Now the Vikings did get Chris Doleman but one does wonder what would have happened if they had gotten Kosar.

Lynn got gang raped on this one. Straight up. Its a chapter of Viking lore I try to put behind me. 

Quote: @"Chuckf" said:
I am more pissed about the NFL allowing Bernie Kosar to avoid the regular draft and go to the supplemental so he could stay in Cleveland after the Vikings traded up to get him. THAT WAS COMPLETE BS.  Now the Vikings did get Chris Doleman but one does wonder what would have happened if they had gotten Kosar.
That '87 team, with Kosar, would've been damn good. Of course, you have to consider it without Doleman.

Houston sued the NFL for allowing that shit move, but dropped the suit after the Vikings refused to join it. No idea why they did that. 

The Remarkable Mike Lynn as he was referred to by the local ink stained wretches, was remarkable no more after that deal.