Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Play Calling
Quote: @badgervike said:
@RS Express said:
@badgervike said:
@JR44 said:
One thing that I think got lost in the less than stellar QB play is the play calling seemed to be on a completely other level that what we have become use to.  I kept asking myself during the game if that was really the Vikings calling those plays.  It was incredibly refreshing to see more passes on 1st down and not the standard run on 1st and 2nd and then throw on 3rd and long.  Loved seeing 4 WR sets and a more aggressive approach.  Kene and Chandler both had great games, which I think was really helped out by the wide open offensive strategy.  Cook, JJ and Thielen are going to really excel in this system.  I think we definitely carry 6 WRs this year. 
PFF agrees...  Pretty big difference from last year...even if it's 2nd teamers vs 2nd teamers

https://twitter.com/Krauserrific/status/...49952?s=20&t=m3dXWxm4A6zNqI9xfFz7bQ

Yeah, yeah, only 1 preseason game but,,,

5th in pass blocking and 4th in coverage (without PP and Harry)?  Pinch me.
We may have been without PP and Harry...but we also weren't covering Davante...
I know, but it's been a while since our pass blocking and coverage looked competent even against scrubs. 

I have to chuckle at this thread.  Everyone bitches about running on first down.  But looking at the highlights, 2 or 3 of the big runs by Chandler and Kene were on 1st down.  Just so easy to have confirmation bias and bitch about the job someone else is doing.

Quote: @greediron said:
I have to chuckle at this thread.  Everyone bitches about running on first down.  But looking at the highlights, 2 or 3 of the big runs by Chandler and Kene were on 1st down.  Just so easy to have confirmation bias and bitch about the job someone else is doing.
Isn't that the point of passing more on 1st down so it is not automatically expected and it opens up the run.   While I was watching the game it seemed that those big holes were there on 1st down, because we had the defense more spread out and they were uncertain of what was coming at them.  

Quote: @JR44 said:
@greediron said:
Isn't that the point of passing more on 1st down so it is not automatically expected and it opens up the run.   While I was watching the game it seemed that those big holes were there on 1st down, because we had the defense more spread out and they were uncertain of what was coming at them.  
Or we have an offensive line that doesn't get overwhelmed immediately.  Balance is the key, but if you look at stats I think many successful teams ran more than the Vikings on first down.  Scheme and play calling are a big part, but if you have Cook/Mattison/... and aren't running the ball, you are not doing it right.

A successful run on first down opens up the offense.  An incompletion really limits that series.  What is a higher probability, a 4 yard run or a 4 yard pass?  

But the point is, people will bitch and say they can predict the offense every time it fails.  But when Kene or Chandler get a good gain on first, they are saying we should trade Mattison.