Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serious question.....
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
They also saved 7 million by trading back in the first.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/charley...00592.html
That is a take away?  We couldn't take better prospects because we needed to save money?  Thats a bad reason to trade down imo and its sounds like something a failed philosophy would embrace in an effort to find a silver lining.
As I said above, that is a horrible narrative to grow out of the draft.  Frankly, PR is part of the job and the two trades and explanations, the OG's bad history and the save money narrative is really a PR failure.

A couple years ago (2020)? Rick flipped the Bears a 5 for the next years' 4.  That I didn't mind, because 
A. We got the eventual higher pick
B.  Neither pick was high enough to involve an instant impact player

More famously, back in 2010 we traded back from 30 to 34 with Detroit for a move up in the 4th.  We got Chris Cook, they got Jahvid Bell.  So apparently a double bust. But in the 4th, we got Everson Griffen. 

So I'm not unilaterally opposed to deals with division rivals.  What made me furious this year is 
A. Getting totally bent over in compensation in the Detroit trade.
B.  Passing on Hamilton just to take another safety. Huh?
C. Dealing with the Packers is not the same as throwing them a lifeline when they're busy drowning themselves. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
We know that they had to get the most out of day 2. Also drafting a safety at 12 was too high. If they wouldn't have made trades, they would have had less to work with. The Packers picked Christian Watson. He is a MVS clone with a 14% drop rate and can't run routes. He had the highest drop rate of receivers last year. We knew KAM was going to be outside the box. Williams is coming off a torn ACL. I get not trading within the division I do. But I also want to let it play out. It's old school v. new school. They could not do the same old same old. 
Why is 12 to high for a safety?  That is old mentality,  if you have a chance to grab a player at 12 that was top 5 on many draft boards,  you do it regardless of position,   especially considering where Smith is at in his career.

The players that ended up being taken by Detroit and gbay are immaterial,   its the fact that we traded in the division and did not get even fair value.  We gave them the opportunity to improve their rosters and lost value as a result of it when it came to improving our own roster.

Its not new school old school,  its new kid got taken to school.

The ultimate picks taken are what remains to play out,  the decision to take that trade with that particular team is already graded.  So what the lions had other teams they could have traded with,  we still would have had a higher graded player than what we ended up with and it will never be known if they really would have ended up getting their guy.
Evidently Hamilton wasn't top 5 on Vikes board....or maybe they derived value in getting extra picks and a similar value positional player 20 picks later. Who knows

Quote: @Vikergirl said:

The Wilfs are paying RS + MZ $20mm for sitting on their butz??

Lol!

[Image: ljg1puyyhxbdjlhhoauw]

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@Vikergirl said:

The Wilfs are paying RS + MZ $20mm for sitting on their butz??

Lol!

[Image: ljg1puyyhxbdjlhhoauw]
Yeah I know. It sucks but it is what it is. The consequences of that are still going to be felt. 

Kwesi said they had Cine in the teens on their board, probably much closer to Hamilton then…

Hamilton was the prime pick of the draft. We could have drafted him. We should have drafted him. We got kwesi’ed. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
Hamilton was the prime pick of the draft. We could have drafted him. We should have drafted him. We got kwesi’ed. 

Oh I wanted Hamilton too, just trying to figure out what our new egghead was thinking, lol…  B)