Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quietly impressed with our new GM ...
Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@Greylock said:
@supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
I'll start off by saying I was against the hiring of Kwesi. I don't believe in playing moneyball in football or being analytics driven is the best thing when it comes to roster building. I think you need to have a feel for the game, for players, and it's highly beneficial to have played the game at a high level or been a scout in player evaluation. The Vikings took a huge roll of the dice on a smart, Wallstreet guy who had done nothing more in the game of football then break down charts and analytics of various types. He is the Brad Childress of NFL GM's. I thought his first phase of free agency was unimpressive and very Spielman-esque. The draft was going to be his first real chance to put his own stamp on the team and for us to get a better idea of what he's about. I thought he completely shit the bed on the trade down with a division rival. There was nothing good about the trade down, from how far down we dropped, to the compensation, to allowing a division rival to add a playmaker they badly needed, to us taking a low impact position player with our pick when it finally came. This draft was thought to have 16 to 18 real blue-chip type, impact players and we moved out of that spot with a division rival for a safety. We followed that move up with trading down in the second round with the Packers, allowing them to move up and grab a playmaker they badly needed. I just think the draft has been a cluster f*** to this point and 100% wish Spielman was back in charge. 
Nothing has been proven or disproven yet. I mean, lol, c'mon lets see what ends up happening as far as the players and their impact. I've said many times the whole deal so far has been weird, but it doesn't mean it will not be successful. Many are looking at it from a value perspective....value doesn't put on a jersey and play football, players do. Lets see how these guys do.

This is going to be an interesting draft to look back on in 3 years because we traded out of a spot where we could have drafted some of the top players at their positions. You also have the aspect of trading within the division (twice) and the players those teams added in the trade ups. Kwesi will either look like the smartest guy in the room or the biggest jackass in the room. I don't know that I've ever seen a bigger boom or bust draft from multiple viewpoints then what the Vikings have done these last couple days. Huge rolls of the dice. 
Trading with a division rival is a terrible idea.  But the player the Lions traded up to get is also a roll of the dice.  A speed receiver recovering from a torn ACL, who in the hell knows how he is going to recover.  Remember they have Dan Campbell as a head coach, rush this guy back on the field and he may suffer another injury.  Its a total gamble on their part that he fully recovers with no lasting effects.

The player the Packers got by trading up has known troubles with shaky hands and dropped passes according to ESPN draft recap.  Maybe the new Viking secondary will shut these guys down or maybe Rodgers will get pissed if his new receiver can't overcome the drops.

Give the guy a break and see how the players he drafted play on the field.

But why even give those teams the opportunity to hit on these guys? The Lions moved up 20 spots for a 3rd round pick and a bag of peanuts! The Packers trade was better value but why give your biggest rival the ability to move way up in the second round to grab the receiver they want? Time will tell but the stupidity of these moves on face value is titanic. Kiper was absolutely floored like the rest of us that they would allow the Packers to move up into our spot. 
Well can't argue the stupidity of these moves especially with division rivals.  I also agree we should have gotten more from the Lions.  But the players that were selected have huge question marks that can't be overlooked.