Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's talk edge rushers..
I'm assuming the Vikings will do everything they can to keep Danielle Hunter, which gives our defense an elite pass rusher (when healthy), but is the answer to our other OLB/DE position already on our roster? Anthony Barr would be a great fit, but can they work out his contract. How are we feeling about Wonnum, Jones, Robinson, and Willekes? I think we have a lot of options already on our roster to where we don't need to use a high draft pick on an edge rusher. I personally think Kenny Willekes could be damn good in that role. 

Thoughts on how to best fill that position opposite Hunter?

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
I'm assuming the Vikings will do everything they can to keep Danielle Hunter, which gives our defense an elite pass rusher (when healthy), but is the answer to our other OLB/DE position already on our roster? Anthony Barr would be a great fit, but can they work out his contract. How are we feeling about Wonnum, Jones, Robinson, and Willekes? I think we have a lot of options already on our roster to where we don't need to use a high draft pick on an edge rusher. I personally think Kenny Willekes could be damn good in that role. 

Thoughts on how to best fill that position opposite Hunter?
In the Donatell thread and based in our current skillsets Im seeing DHunt as the heavy side  Edge and Wonnum as the Jack LB.  Barr would be obvious Jack but I dont trust his knee. If Barr is gone then we need some competition there.

I have no worries about the interior DL at all. 

Jones and Robinson are still total unknowns but Willikes seems like decent depth. 

Im seeing 2 of our first 3 picks on front 7. 

Wonnum might be a better Jack/Joker than DE.

Pair this guy up with Danielle and we're set...

Not that it really gets more damning than, “he was a grumpy cuss who hadn’t talked to the GM in months,” but man, if Barr is somehow back and has a career year in stats and impact that’d pretty much put the nail in the coffin for my thoughts on Zim. 

Not saying this can or will happen, but it’d be wild if it did. 

For the rest of the guys, I have no idea if we can trust any of them but like OP alluded too, there might be the right mix of volume and potential there to where you roll the dice and see what you got rather than spending a first or second round pick. Tough call for the FO. Hopefully some of the holdovers in the front office can help the new guys on this one. I won’t be mad if they draft someone high or decide to wait a year. 

Barr makes me a little leary. He missed 5 games this season with an arthritic knee.
They usually just don’t go away.
I would sooner try and pick up someone in FA who has better health.