• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, I salute you
I really like this description of Kwesi 

https://twitter.com/KevinBrownNFL/status...o9KMFl9TVg&s=19

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@AGRforever said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Vikergirl said:
I think he brings a fresh perspective that is needed. He will get input from scouts.

Here are some examples of coaches and executives who played football. They didn't have much football experience. Also the experience was some time ago for a couple of them. 

Belichick has a Bachelors degree in Economics. He played football and lacrosse at Wesleyan University. Some seriously competitive football. He played in the early 70's. 

Shanahan caught 14 passes at University of Texas at Austin. 14 passes?

McVay had 34 receptions at Miami of Ohio. 

Polian played for the NYU Violets. Degree in History. Successful executive.

It depends on the personality regarding leadership. When it comes to coaching, football experience can be helpful. As an executive, not as much. 
This can be spun a million different ways. I can go on about the GM's of these coaches you mentioned having at the very least played at the college level (Lynch being a Hall of Famer). Mensah never played, went to Princeton and was a stock trader before getting on with the 49ers as a research guy and numbers cruncher. He may end up being the greatest thing since sliced bread but that's a huge leap of faith to put someone with a background like that in charge of building a championship roster. No personal experience playing the game and no real scouting experience. Wilfs would really be rolling the dice here. And again, I hope this is more about winning football games then the Wilfs receiving kudos and pats on the back from the commissioner and Stephen A Smith for the hire. I look at the resumes of some of these other people we interviewed for the GM job and someone like John Spytek's absolutely blows Mensah's out of the water completely. So really hoping this is about picking the best person for the job and not about skin color since we've had two "white guys" in those positions the last 8 years and now changing it up due to the political climate in Minneapolis. Hate to say it..but it smells like that is a possibility. 
Theres loads of people to choose from. Black, white, brown and orobably every shade in between. If we’re going to start not seeing color then we need to start not seeing it. I doubt the color of the guys skin had any difference in the choice. If he can bring a new spin to an old job, I rhink thats great. 
Again compare his resume to Spyteks. I think the fact that Spielman and Wilf were white, George Floyd happened, and that Minneapolis is a hugely liberal state...it would be a huge coup for the Wilfs to hire only the 3rd black GM currently in the league. All the pundits will praise them for it for nothing more then skin color....but what will the results ultimately be on the football field? So yes I think the fact that Mensah is black played a role in him getting GM interviews at this relatively young point in his career because his actual football experience is limited. The league is pushing this exact kind of thing in the name of "inclusion." I just hope the Wilfs make the choice for what's in the best interest of the franchise and not in the best interest of what they view as social justice. 

Minnesota is just like every blue state.  The urban areas are densely populated and very blue.  The rest of the state is quite red.  Fans come from all around and many different political preferences. 

The Wilfs haven't ever done anything (Viking related) to my recollection to pander to any side?

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:
@AGRforever said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Vikergirl said:
I think he brings a fresh perspective that is needed. He will get input from scouts.

Here are some examples of coaches and executives who played football. They didn't have much football experience. Also the experience was some time ago for a couple of them. 

Belichick has a Bachelors degree in Economics. He played football and lacrosse at Wesleyan University. Some seriously competitive football. He played in the early 70's. 

It depends on the personality regarding leadership. When it comes to coaching, football experience can be helpful. As an executive, not as much. 
This can be spun a million different ways. I can go on about the GM's of these coaches you mentioned having at the very least played at the college level (Lynch being a Hall of Famer). Mensah never played, went to Princeton and was a stock trader before getting on with the 49ers as a research guy and numbers cruncher. He may end up being the greatest thing since sliced bread but that's a huge leap of faith to put someone with a background like that in charge of building a championship roster. No personal experience playing the game and no real scouting experience. Wilfs would really be rolling the dice here. And again, I hope this is more about winning football games then the Wilfs receiving kudos and pats on the back from the commissioner and Stephen A Smith for the hire. I look at the resumes of some of these other people we interviewed for the GM job and someone like John Spytek's absolutely blows Mensah's out of the water completely. So really hoping this is about picking the best person for the job and not about skin color since we've had two "white guys" in those positions the last 8 years and now changing it up due to the political climate in Minneapolis. Hate to say it..but it smells like that is a possibility. 
Theres loads of people to choose from. Black, white, brown and orobably every shade in between. If we’re going to start not seeing color then we need to start not seeing it. I doubt the color of the guys skin had any difference in the choice. If he can bring a new spin to an old job, I rhink thats great. 
Again compare his resume to Spyteks. I think the fact that Spielman and Wilf were white, George Floyd happened, and that Minneapolis is a hugely liberal state...it would be a huge coup for the Wilfs to hire only the 3rd black GM currently in the league. All the pundits will praise them for it for nothing more then skin color....but what will the results ultimately be on the football field? So yes I think the fact that Mensah is black played a role in him getting GM interviews at this relatively young point in his career because his actual football experience is limited. The league is pushing this exact kind of thing in the name of "inclusion." I just hope the Wilfs make the choice for what's in the best interest of the franchise and not in the best interest of what they view as social justice. 

Interesting you say that, it is 1/2 true and how we're known across the country. 

Mpls/St Paul and their surrounding burbs (Hennepin and Ramsey Counties) are liberal and have the bulk of what little ethnicity there is here. Its the bulk of population too. 

Whites are almost 83%. I remember back in my corporate days, it was difficult to recruit and retain multicultural talent. 

The rural areas?  They're white as wonderbread and conservative as Pence.
Truly I don't know what I am talking about as my twin cities smugness hasn't taken me out of the cesspool and anywhere else. I love stereotypes.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@supafreak84 said:
@AGRforever said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Vikergirl said:

Minnesota is just like every blue state.  The urban areas are densely populated and very blue.  The rest of the state is quite red.  
There isn't a state in the union where this isn't true. I thought maybe Utah might be an exception, but I just looked it up. Even Salt Lake City voted heavily blue. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@AGRforever said:
@supafreak84 said:
@AGRforever said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Vikergirl said:

Minnesota is just like every blue state.  The urban areas are densely populated and very blue.  The rest of the state is quite red.  
There isn't a state in the union where this isn't true. I thought maybe Utah might be an exception, but I just looked it up. Even Salt Lake City voted heavily blue. 
Yes, its why gerrymandering exists. 

There are some people that seem to think he is just a numbers robot guy and does not understand human interaction. It sounds like he is good with both. I don't understand why there are such extreme views of him? I listened to him talk about the Browns in several YouTube videos. He is highly intelligent and has great communication skills. What is the issue really? It sounds like he knows how to delegate and take input as well. Am I missing something? 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@AGRforever said:
@supafreak84 said:
@AGRforever said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Vikergirl said:

To a certain point.  To me, to be "very blue/red" its got to get into the +70/30 range.  Nashville is our closest urban area and they run about 60/40. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@MaroonBells said:
@AGRforever said:
@supafreak84 said:
@AGRforever said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Vikergirl said:

To a certain point.  To me, to be "very blue/red" its got to get into the +70/30 range.  Nashville is our closest urban area and they run about 60/40. 
Tennessee (like TX and GA) is a prototypical state for this kind of urban v. rural analysis. They typically vote 60% red, but Nashville voted 65-32 blue. As always, the race is in the suburbs. 

Quote: @kmillard said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:
@AGRforever said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Vikergirl said:

Interesting you say that, it is 1/2 true and how we're known across the country. 

Mpls/St Paul and their surrounding burbs (Hennepin and Ramsey Counties) are liberal and have the bulk of what little ethnicity there is here. Its the bulk of population too. 

Whites are almost 83%. I remember back in my corporate days, it was difficult to recruit and retain multicultural talent. 

The rural areas?  They're white as wonderbread and conservative as Pence.
Truly I don't know what I am talking about as my twin cities smugness hasn't taken me out of the cesspool and anywhere else. I love stereotypes.
Hy Millad - my apologies if that got under your skin...No personal offense meant. I got relatives and friends in Stearns County and Pine City, so I get out of the cities now and then myself