Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strib: A team on the edge....

Yah, I just posted pieces of this in the Zimm/RS Schim thread...

As fans we want to find one or two reasons, but the bottom line is that its a complex set of issues over an 8 year span that led to the nuking of Zimmer/RS era. 

I've never seen a video pity party. That's not the innovation I'm looking for.

Quote: @"JustinTime18™" said:
How the Zimmer era ended is kinda shocking to me tbh. It just doesnt fit the persona I had on him - one from a discerning fan of 5+ decades.

I would label it a bitter and spiteful ending. I thought he was above that. 

Wonder if it had gotten to the point that Zimmer's reluctance to play guys like Davis and Mond in the last game against the Bears was a way to say Rick didn't get him the players to win.  Instead maybe he preferred playing veteran guys he knew wouldn't be as likely to make a mistake.

Zimmer is about excuses that place the blame on anyone else but himself. We’ve had some good assistants come through here for very short stays. Now we know part of the reason why. I think it also may explain how we ended up rolling this year with no clear defensive coordinator and essentially a rookie play calling OC. I have to wonder if word had gotten around to the point that filling staff wasn’t as easy as it should be. 
For me, Zimmer has permanently crushed his reputation this past year. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
How the Zimmer era ended is kinda shocking to me tbh. It just doesnt fit the persona I had on him - one from a discerning fan of 5+ decades.

I would label it a bitter and spiteful ending. I thought he was above that. 

Agree with your sentiment as well.  An opportunity to be a HC for 8 years and he leaves bitter/spiteful and fingers pointing everywhere but back at himself.  

Turns out there was a reason many teams passed him by after interviewing him.  I'll repeat for the 1000th time...Peter Principle - he could not handle a HC position, he doesn't have the make-up, disposition etc.  He was all about one-side of the ball and he should have stayed as a DC much like Buddy Ryan.  When someone in a leadership position lacks clear communication skills it it usually a sign that they are in over their heads.  When they isolate themselves and can't delegate without interference it is not a good sign either.  When they use scapegoats, the word alone screams "in-over-there-head" and lack of leadership.  

I was all for hiring Zimmer and he made an instant impact mostly to the Defense.  It is clear now, what we have all been talking about on this forum for years, was accurate and even worse when it comes to coaching the whole team = HC.  

But I like others had enough of Zimmer after the Philly debacle and the Miracle needed just to get there!

He was not a good Coach of a whole team, and he was also very average during the games.  We never put 2 or 3 games of consistent play from all sides of the ball together and it seems Zimmer's demeanor with players/staff and scapegoating were the reason and much worse than I even thought.  

The bottom line is Zimmer could not overcome his shortcomings even though he was given 8 years to do it.  His exit behavior is just another example of why he should not be a HC again.  If I'm a GM I view him as toxic and not possessing the communication skills necessary to be the HC.  

Observation:  NFL history is full of HC who came from the Defensive side and could not relate to any other side of the ball or just lacked the ability?  But I can't think of any HC's who came from the offensive side of the ball always blaming the defense or pitting each side against each other etc... I'm sure it has happened I just can't remember any.  I guess coaching a defense your whole career makes you defensive and above reproach Smile.

This is all that really needs to be said,

"For eight years, Zimmer's unremitting approach yielded more wins than any coach in Vikings history not named Bud Grant or Dennis Green, but ultimately wore thin without consistent postseason success to provide a buffer."

Zim demanded perfection, and was too quick to call out his players, but he was willing to criticize himself as well.  

The pity party video at the end was just a cherry on top - surprising as hell (to me). 

Getting some inside scoop on all those OC's was illuminating and disheartening all at once. 

Yes, Zimmer pointed a finger at the mirror now and then. He also threw player under the bus too often, and coaches on staff as well. 

I think Minny hit a lot on the head; As a leader of an entire team? Setting the culture and environment? (let alone football game planning) he's lucky to get a C+ from me.

And only that because of the # of wins vs other Viking HC's.

With the benefit of hind-sight, outside of winning the North in Lamblow back in 14/15 and the Minny Miracle? The rest is pretty mediocre.