Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Respect
the more i read about what was going on it sounds like Zimmer was being a real dick.  I suspect he lost the respect of a lot of players.

Your employees and people under you like soldiers and players will respond and return respect and loyalty.  If you treat people poorly you can expect to be viewed in the same manner.  

Zimmer was apparently going down this path and Spielman didn’t put a stop to it.

And they are both gone.  I still stand by my assertion that Zimmer should not have been allowed to finish out the season.  IMO, he knew before he was told that he wouldn't be returning,  all he did was shit down the well before he turned the farm over to the bank. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
And they are both gone.  I still stand by my assertion that Zimmer should not have been allowed to finish out the season.  IMO, he knew before he was told that he wouldn't be returning,  all he did was shit down the well before he turned the farm over to the bank. 
That sounds dramatic. 
Is there any lasting problems besides to his own reputation?
I think we’re all making a lot of assumptions off of two broad
one sentence quotes.  It’ll be
interesting to see how things change over time. 
It wasn’t that long ago that everyone was all about how much people
loved playing for Zimmer, we had a great culture that was attractive to free
agents, etc.  Players were resigning long
term deals left and right.  Are we
suggesting that wasn’t reality, and that “Culture of Fear” Zimmer and asshole
Zimmer was the only true one.  Is this
just a product of being under the pressure of win or your fired.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
At the bold.... you and I are on the same page.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
That sounds dramatic. 
It wasn’t that long ago that everyone was all about how much people

Long term effects remain to be seen i guess.  I dont think he ruined everything,  but some of his comments and actions may have seeded some resentment with the players that he had issues with.  Wait and see,  still would have been better to get him out sooner than later.

It's funny how all these players love playing for someone until that coach leaves. See Leslie Frazier circa 2013. Of course it is usually because everyone gets grouchy when you don't win.

Forget the players for a moment.

The real question is why we had such an issue hiring and retaining OC's and other coaches.  

We had a highly unstable revolving door at OC, an area where Zimmer was totally hands off.  One quit mid-season, one fired mid-season. 

None of our 1st round CBs and coveted DBs were retained - Rhodes, Waynes, Hughes, Ant Harris, Gladney.  That was supposed to be his area of strength, now we're starting with Cameron Dantzler and two FA's whose 1 year deals expired, and we are 11 million over the cap.

How the hell did that cupboard become so bare???  That alone merited Zim and Rick to both be fired. 

Quote: @"medaille" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
That sounds dramatic. 
It wasn’t that long ago
that everyone was all about how much people

Last offseason IIRC, Mac came back.  Richardson returned for peanuts. Barr signed for less the year before.

It is obvious it was time to move on, but lets not act like we have some tremendous insight into the personnel at TCO.

Quote: @"SFVikeFan" said:
Forget the players for a moment.

The real question is why we had such an issue hiring and retaining OC's and other coaches.  

We had a highly unstable revolving door at OC, an area where Zimmer was totally hands off.  One quit mid-season, one fired mid-season. 

None of our 1st round CBs and coveted DBs were retained - Rhodes, Waynes, Hughes, Ant Harris, Gladney.  That was supposed to be his area of strength, now we're starting with Cameron Dantzler and two FA's whose 1 year deals expired, and we are 11 million over the cap.

How the hell did that cupboard become so bare???  That alone merited Zim and Rick to both be fired. 
You must be forgetting all the OCs that succeeded were hired elsewhere.  Shurmur, Stef both got HC jobs.  Those that were fired deserved to be fired.  

As to DBs, were you on board paying Rhodes, Waynes and Harris what they were getting on the open market?