Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Akiem Hicks: A Viking IOL wrecking ball

Film review: Rams pressure a danger to Vikings after Akiem Hicks, Bears demolish offensive lineAkiem Hicks leaving when his contract expires this offseason may be the only thing that will stop him from demolishing the Vikings offense twice a year. Here's what went wrong for the Vikings on Monday night.
Akiem Hicks' hands cast aside Vikings right guard Mason Cole, freeing a lane for the Bears' 335-pound wrecking ball to sack quarterback Kirk Cousins in the first quarter. It was the first of a season-worst four sacks on Cousins during Monday night's 17-9 win, after which Hicks used those hands to point at the crowd in every direction at Soldier Field.

"I was pointing to the people that cheer for me, the people that love me, the people that love how I play the game," Hicks said. "They're always yelling my name. I wanted to show some love back."
If that's Hicks' primetime farewell after six disruptive seasons in Chicago, there should be a going-away party at TCO Performance Center just to say good riddance. The 32-year-old Hicks leaving when his contract expires this offseason may be the only thing that will stop him from demolishing the Vikings offense biannually.
The Vikings didn't have a 100-yard passer, runner or receiver. Quarterback Kirk Cousins left with a career-low 87 yards against a backup secondary. Edge rusher Robert Quinn likely taught rookie Christian Darrisaw a couple things during two sacks. Hicks did much of his damage against right guard Mason Cole, whom Vikings coaches decided to keep there over the often-penalized Oli Udoh.
They'll need better from the offensive line, as well as Cousins, on Sunday against the Rams and defensive tackle Aaron Donald. Seventeen points likely won't get a win against Matthew Stafford and Sean McVay. Let's take a closer look at how Monday night unfolded.
1. Hicks was on the sideline while the Vikings gained a majority — 62% to be exact — of yardage in their two touchdown drives. Coordinator Klint Kubiak didn't have many answers when Hicks was on the field, with Cole's struggles extending past the halftime adjustments and into a slog of a second half.
The Vikings' second and final touchdown drive was dominated by Hicks on back-to-back plays to force a third-and-18 play. That's when they were bailed out by fill-in Bears safety Teez Tabor's low block personal foul, when he dove in front of right tackle Brian O'Neill to tackle Dalvin Cook. Hicks took a rest on the sideline, and suddenly Kene Nwangwu had a 19-yard run and the Vikings were marching.
https://www.startribune.com/akiem-hicks-...600129440/

I sure would rather have had Hicks than Tomlinson this year...

So much was made of Mack when he showed up, but Hicks has been the Vikings kryptonite for years. Cole was horrible and the OC didn't replace him or help him. Combination of bad player and unresponsive coach, for the Vikings.

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
So much was made of Mack when he showed up, but Hicks has been the Vikings kryptonite for years. Cole was horrible and the OC didn't replace him or help him. Combination of bad player and unresponsive coach, for the Vikings.
How is it that other teams can figure it out? I remember teams playing a freakin’ TE on the O-line against the Vikings and the guy has done well filling in for the injured player.It’s not like the guy was all that great, but they coaches made things easier for him by giving him help or calling plays to match his strength.
Why can’t the Vikings coaches ever get it right when it comes to play calling and personnel?
Remember Bob Schnelker back in the Jerry Burns day saying it isn’t that he’s calling a bad play, but that the offense wasn’t executing it right.
Hell, then call something different!

Haven't blocked him in six years. Has destroyed the interior of our line every game. I won't be sad to see him sign elsewhere when that time comes