Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: USA gymnastics settlement

Not enough. The lives allowed to be ruined.

I agree it should be more, a lot more...  These fine athletes worked their rear ends off to be the very best gymnasts that they could be.  And they were the best: World champs and gold medal winners!  So proud them, so enjoyed watching and cheering during the Games!  They were perfect representatives!  Just devastating that such national treasures and beautiful women had their trust and bodies violated by the team doctor...

What I don’t understand is how red flags with this guy was swept under the rug for so long? Both with Team USA and at MSU, people brought things up about this guy, and it was ignored and he was allowed to stay in his roles. Are there no other Sports Doctors in the world that wanted those jobs? Why did the people in charge want to ignore the info to keep him in there? Besides what they should have done to prosecute him many years ago, why didn’t they just fire him or move on to another doctor?

Quote: @SkolVikings44 said:
What I don’t understand is how red flags with this guy was swept under the rug for so long? Both with Team USA and at MSU, people brought things up about this guy, and it was ignored and he was allowed to stay in his roles. Are there no other Sports Doctors in the world that wanted those jobs? Why did the people in charge want to ignore the info to keep him in there? Besides what they should have done to prosecute him many years ago, why didn’t they just fire him or move on to another doctor?
Winning cures all?

Abuse of power. Enabling behavior. Indifference.  Lack of empathy.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@SkolVikings44 said:
Winning cures all?
I hear that, but what the hell is a doctor doing that helps them win? Why was Nassar worth all this shit to keep around?

There is no amount of money that can take away that kind of pain, suffering, violation and betrayal.

@AGRforever said:
@SkolVikings44 said:
Winning cures all?
I hear that, but what the hell is a doctor doing that helps them win? Why was Nassar worth all this shit to keep around?

My wife was a collegiate level gymnast.  She knows some of the Nassar people. Shes watched how they have raised their own kids and nearly all of them have steered their kids into different sports or activities even though gymnastics had been generational in their families. 

The whole situation is and was completely FUCKED.  "Stealing" the Karolyi's from Russia was a huge win for American egos.  It was left to go on like it did because they were winning and every time we did it pushed the anti-soviet era knife just a little deeper in to our command's side.