Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings getting the band back together

Pierce and Tomlinson together again...7 games remaining and I still have no idea how impactful (or not) these 2 together can be.

Be nice if we can see if this investment is going to pay off or not. 

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I have to think that if the Vikes are looking to trim some cap in the offseason, Pierce is a prime candidate. Opted out last season & missed several games this season, a reduction in salary isn't too much to ask. Besides, Watts is playing more than adequately at that position. 

Watts has been much more effective than both of Pierce and Tomlinson, I am sure Zimmer will do what he typically does and have them go back to starting, but Watts should without question play ahead of them.  Same thing with refusing to take Breeland out, the defense will never improve, because there is never any kind of threat of a veteran losing their position to a hungrier younger guy.  

Quote: @"JR44" said:
Watts has been much more effective than both of Pierce and Tomlinson, I am sure Zimmer will do what he typically does and have them go back to starting, but Watts should without question play ahead of them.  Same thing with refusing to take Breeland out, the defense will never improve, because there is never any kind of threat of a veteran losing their position to a hungrier younger guy.  
He didn't do that with Cole >Bradbury. Watts is playing well, but not sure I'd put him over a healthy Pierce. Tomlinson you can have a discussion about.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"JR44" said:
He didn't do that with Cole >Bradbury. Watts is playing well, but not sure I'd put him over a healthy Pierce. Tomlinson you can have a discussion about.

I don't think Watts is on the same level with Pierce, but he's been a revelation who has probably earned plenty of rotation time. We struggled a bit stopping the run in those first two games, so I think some were down on that starting interior, but I think that had more to do with new players coming to terms with Zimmer's famed gap discipline. If I remember right, Pierce had like 3 sacks and several pressures in those games. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JR44" said:

I don't think Watts is on the same level with Pierce, but he's been a revelation who has probably earned plenty of rotation time. We struggled a bit stopping the run in those first two games, so I think some were down on that starting interior, but I think that had more to do with new players coming to terms with Zimmer's famed gap discipline. If I remember right, Pierce had like 3 sacks and several pressures in those games. 
Pierce has played a grand total of 4 games for Minny. Granted, he played well & showed better pass rush skills than he had in Baltimore. But, he was often injured in Baltimore which was one of the reasons they allowed him to walk in FA & so far, we've seen the same. The jury is till out on Pierce & I'm unsure how much we can count on him. 

Quote: @"Knucklehead" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JR44" said:

Pierce has played a grand total of 4 games for Minny. Granted, he played well & showed better pass rush skills than he had in Baltimore. But, he was often injured in Baltimore which was one of the reasons they allowed him to walk in FA & so far, we've seen the same. The jury is till out on Pierce & I'm unsure how much we can count on him. 
No doubt, the Pierce/Tomlinson combo to clog the middle and stop the run has been a total flop to date....for many reasons...but a flop.  Now when we hear they may both be back on the field at the same time I guess we should think that really helps but I am in my Doubting Thomas mode as a Viking fan - show me on the field because I have not seen it to date.  

In my opinion Watts has outplayed Tomlinson this year by a wide margin and I think should be starting inside next to Pierce. I actually really liked Sheldon Richardson playing DE last week and think he should continue as a base, run stopping end since that's really been our weakness this season. 

DE- Richardson
DT- Watts
NT- Pierce
DE- Wonnum 

Rotate in Tomlinson, Jones, Bower, and Lynch.

Darrisaw, Cook and Bynum OUT for Sunday.