Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer and Cousins
Quote: @Wetlander said:
@StickyBun said:
Yeah, its not the prettiest picture or return on investment. There's more to it then those stats, but its what it ultimately comes down to regardless how snakebit the organization or Zimmer have been: wins. Putting it altogether has been impossible for this franchise. There's always some aspect of the team lacking for whatever reason. 
That's why anyone that criticizes Zimmer for the team's shortcomings should also look to the guy responsible for constructing the roster in the first place...

From what has been reported in the past, I think it's safe to say Zimmer wasn't a fan of paying Cousins a bunch of money at the expense of other parts of the team.  Spielman picked Cousins, which in hindsight, hasn't panned out the way we thought it would. He wasn't the missing piece to take a contender to the Super Bowl.  Now the team has slowly dissolved in key areas (DL and CB) and the OL still has some issues (C and RG).

This isn't a criticism of only Spielman.  It's the whole Spielman/Zimmer/Cousins group that was supposed to elevate this team.  Instead, we have a good QB who doesn't always have it in close games.  We have a coach that wants to rely on his defense and stud RB to close out close games, but we don't have the personnel to do it anymore (at least on defense).  And our GM hasn't been able to fix the OL in how many years and draft picks and FA signings.  At some points you have to look at the entire package and say do we have the right GM, Coach, and QB to take this team where it needs to go?

I personally still have faith in Zimmer and Spielman and Cousins to an extent with how he finished last season and how he's played this season.  But I can see why some fans don't believe in any of these 3 anymore.

I think the #1 priority in the off-season is to find a stud pass rusher, #2 is to find a C who can anchor, and #3 get another good CB.  That's how I'd rank it based on what I've seen this season.
All what you are saying is where I have been two years and counting
  1. Spielman should go. I have shown time without number how his draft picks are mostly more flash than substance plus the Cousins extension
  2. Zimmer should go: Game management, poor adjustments at critical moments. abysmal reliance on defence in 2019. 
  3. Cousins should be phased out. I am still frustrated that we did not draft Mac Jones