Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wow, Collin Powell dead @ 84
Colin Powell, first Black secretary of state, dies from COVID-19 complications

WASHINGTON — Colin Powell, the trailblazing military commander and first Black secretary of statewhose career was defined in part by America's two wars with Iraq, died Monday of COVID-19 related complications.
Powell, 84, was born in New York City to Jamaican immigrants, served four U.S. presidents and rose to become the first African American and the youngest chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the nation's highest-ranking military officer. He died Monday at Walter Reed National Medical Center. His family said he was fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
"We have lost a remarkable and loving husband, father, grandfather and a great American," Powell's family said in its statement.
The news of his death rippled across the country, sparking an outpouring of grief and praise for his decades of public service.
"He was a tremendous personal friend and mentor to me, and there’s a hole in my heart right now as I think about his loss," Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said on Monday. "I will miss him dearly."
Former President Jimmy Carter called him a "true patriot and public servant," and noted that Powell worked on many issues outside the limelight, including pro-democracy efforts in Haiti and Jamaica.
Powell served two combat tours in Vietnam before climbing the ranks and overseeing the first Gulf War in 1990-1991, when American and allied forces drove Iraq's military from Kuwait. Powell's distinguished military career was later tarnished by his tenure as the nation's chief diplomat, when then-President George W. Bush's led the U.S. into the second Iraq war in 2003, based on faulty assertions that Saddam Hussein's government had weapons of mass destruction.     
Powell later called that a "blot" on his career. 
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli...505049002/

Powell's family announced his death on Facebook saying he died from complications from Covid-19. He was 84 and had been vaccinated. A source familiar with the matter later told CNN he had multiple myeloma – a cancer of plasma cells that suppresses the body’s immune response.

Powell was a great American, a leader who seemed to perform his duties with the utmost grace and class. Yes, he was wrong about WMDs, but I will always admire the fact that he owned up to it, later saying "I will always regret it. It was a terrible mistake on all our parts."

Comments from other classy leaders....

Colin embodied the highest ideals of both warrior and diplomat. Time and again, he put country before self, before party, before all else — in uniform and out — and it earned him the universal respect of the American people." --Joe Biden

"Laura and I are deeply saddened by the death of Colin Powell. He was a great public servant, starting with his time as a soldier during Vietnam." --George W. Bush
"General Powell was an exemplary soldier and an exemplary patriot. He was at the center of some of the most consequential events of our lifetimes." --Barack Obama
"He lived the promise of America, and spent a lifetime working to help our country, especially our young people, live up to its own ideals and noblest aspirations at home and around the world." --Bill Clinton

"Wonderful to see Colin Powell, who made big mistakes on Iraq and famously, so-called weapons of mass destruction, be treated in death so beautifully by the Fake News Media. Hope that happens to me someday. He was a classic RINO, if even that, always being the first to attack other Republicans. He made plenty of mistakes, but anyway, may he rest in peace!" --Donald Trump