Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soooo....Is it time to shut up about Kirk?
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Kentis said:
@greediron said:
@Kentis said:
I think Rauscher deserves a ton of credit. Look, he’s the guy that thought Udoh could move inside to guard & be a potentially really good one. While his  predecessor, VirtualRico™️, thought Dozier was the answer…  :o  Hmmm…  Wink 
Cuz Rauscher wasn't part of the coaching last year and Dozier didn't start at the top this year?  And Dennison is still with the team, so none of that really matters.

I think we didn't have anyone to challenge Dozier last year, sadly enough.  Who else was there, Samia?  Udoh was still at Tackle last year.  
Well exactly, why wasn’t Udoh tried there last year…!?
He was. He got snaps at guard last year.

I don't think it's some big coaching secret. The truth is that the Vikings simply have good players on the line now. In 2018, it's obvious to me they shifted their OL draft strategy from 3rd and 4th rounders to 1st and 2nd rounders. It started in 2018 when they drafted O'Neill in the 2nd round. Bradbury in the 1st round in 2019. Cleveland in the 2nd round in 2020. Then Darrisaw in the 1st this year. That makes a difference. 
I agree with you here. Nowadays you can get so much talent in the later rounds, but really need to invest in OL and DL in early rounds. The Vikes have done that with the OL the last 3 years, hopefully it pays off for years to come. I'm still not 100% convinced this is our OL this year, but my mind could change depending on how it goes vs the Browns.

Vikings’ Dalvin Cook on Kirk Cousins: ‘From a clean pocket, best in the game’Through the first three games of the season, Pro Football Focus rates Kirk Cousins as the third-best quarterback in the NFL. In Dalvin Cook’s rankings, he’s No. 1. 
The Vikings running back said Wednesday that no quarterback in the league is playing better now than his teammate. 
“That’s the statement,” Cook said. “That’s how I feel about my quarterback. … He’s been playing good. He’s been playing lights out. Go look at his numbers, his numbers are there. He’s been balling.” 
Cousins has completed 88 of 109 passes (73.9 percent) for 918 yards with eight touchdowns and no interceptions. His passer rating of 118.3 ranks fourth in the NFL. 

“From a clean pocket, best in the game, man,” Cook said. “The best. He’s just turning the ball loose and being him, man. But you’re starting to see that leadership side.” 
Cook said that Cousins, in his fourth season with the Vikings, is showing more emotion after Cook described his early years this way: “When he first got here, it was like, I’m figuring it out.’ ” 
Cook sat out last Sunday’s game against Seattle at U.S. Bank Stadium with an ankle injury, but the Vikings still won 30-17 after coming in as a two-point underdog. Much credit for that goes to Cousins, who completed 30 of 38 passes for 323 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions against the Seahawks. 
Cook made his comments shortly before Cousins arrived to address the media on Wednesday. Cousins had been in a nearby room but said he was tipped off about what Cook said. 
“He’s being kind,” Cousins said. “He’s being a good teammate. He told me as he left right now that he greased you guys up for me, so now I know what he meant. My job is just to stay consistent, keep working and try to put good things on tape.” 

As to whether he’s the playing the best of any NFL quarterback now or whether he’s even having the best stretch in his tenure with the Vikings, Cousins said he’s not into rankings. 
“I’m not really in the business of talking about my play publicly or trying to evaluate it to everybody,” he said. “I think it’s about the next play, where are you going from here.” 
However, the Vikings’ public-relations staff is into superlatives. It has tweeted out lots of numbers this week about Cousins, including that he’s one of just four NFL quarterbacks ever to have had a passer rating of 115.0 or better in the first three games while having 115 or attempts. The others named were Peyton Manning with Indianapolis in 2010 and Denver in 2013, Tom Brady with New England in 2015 and Drew Brees with New Orleans in 2018. 
According to Pro Football Focus, Brady, now with Tampa Bay, is the top-rated quarterback through three games this season, and Tennessee’s Ryan Tannehill is No. 2. 
The Vikings are 1-2 entering Sunday’s game against Cleveland at U.S. Bank Stadium, but they are ranked third in the NFL in total offense. And for the first time since he became a regular starter in 2015 with Washington, Cousins hasn’t thrown an interception in the first three games. 
“He’s playing extremely well, playing with a lot of confidence, playing fast,” fullback C.J. Ham said. “He’s got us all playing with a lot of confidence, too. When your leader is playing that well, it’s infectious.” 
Perhaps it helps that Vikings coach Mike Zimmer and Cousins have been watching film each week together. Cousins said the two did that sporadically in the past, but they began doing it on a weekly basis in spring drills and resumed the practice when training camp got underway. 
“It’s helpful to have a structured time every week to meet with the head coach as the quarterback,” Cousins said. “It just helps to have that planned time every week to go over third downs, go over our offensive plan at a high level, go over our team dynamics, whatever it might be.” 
Zimmer long has been regarded as one of the NFL’s top defensive coaches. So a lot of what he points out to Cousins has to do with opposing defenses. 
“It’s helped both ways,” Zimmer said. “I think the communication between both of us is much better. I can understand some of the things he’s thinking about during the game. I can kind of try to give him some tips on defensive backs or alignments or front-wise, what teams are trying to do.” 
https://www.twincities.com/2021/09/29/vi...-the-game/

Sounds like players also pay attention to those little stat nuggets we all share amongst each other. 

[Image: gbba99pvkg75.gif]

Playing the best football of his career....and two game were wasted so far this year. Its just so Vikings. Very good opponent tomorrow, a great test for the team. 

I'm very glad to see that Zimmer and Cousins have maintained the film process.  Their communication and relationship were both concerns over the past few years, so maybe...just maybe...the team's overall chemistry can be a step better.

Huh.  I'm actually really pleased by this, because I wanted Zimmer's head over the first 9 quarters of this season.

Cousins hasn’t been the problem. I have no idea what games many are watching. If the refs don’t call a down Cook as fumbling, Cousins was driving us to another victory. Cousins drives us down for an easy game winning field goal and the kicker misses it. 
Despite a poor defense in the first two weeks we should be 3-0. 
Defense will determine our record this year, just as they did last year.

Quote: @minny65 said:
@medaille said:
I think the thing we need to really stop doing is trying to
nitpick which one person is the reason for all the problems or toggling
between the black and white choices of Cousins is perfect and Cousins is
garbage.  This is a team sport, and there
is a lot of room for shades of gray.

I think it’s pretty clear that Cousins is playing some of
the best ball of his career recently, but that hasn’t really led to wins, and he
hasn’t been the primary issue in those losses, but he also hasn’t really
carried the team on his back.  One win doesn’t
really mean that we’re on a new trajectory, or that this is the new normal for
the Vikings.  I do feel pretty confident in
saying that if you want to get the most out of Cousins, focus on the
OLine.  They played well today.  Keep them playing well.
100% agree
I think the thing we need to really stop doing is trying to nitpick which one person is the reason for all the problems or toggling between the black and white choices of Cousins is perfect and Cousins is garbage.  This is a team sport, and there is a lot of room for shades of gray.
I think it’s pretty clear that Cousins is playing some of the best ball of his career recently, but that hasn’t really led to wins, and he hasn’t been the primary issue in those losses, but he also hasn’t really carried the team on his back.  One win doesn’t really mean that we’re on a new trajectory, or that this is the new normal for the Vikings.  I do feel pretty confident in saying that if you want to get the most out of Cousins, focus on the OLine.  They played well today.  Keep them playing well.

Another week....

I agree100% with these two illustrious posters, so full of wisdom Smile

Probably what Cousins was thinking after the game.
“Yeah it was a tough day, we didn’t do enough to win…but I made about $2.75million today, so I’m good”