Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stafford is in the right organization now/Vikings thoughts
I’m still pissed we didn’t take Jones when we had the chance. It isn’t that he’s a sure thing, it’s just that he has good arm talent and you rarely get a chance at guys like him. He was number one on my board when our pick came and would have been an easy decision for me. 
The biggest difference I see between Cousins and guys like Brady or really any higher tier guy is they are allowed to read the defense pre-play and make adjustments. It doesn’t appear that Cousins is allowed this kind of flexibility. He’s expected to run the called play regardless of what he’s seeing. In my opinion, this is holding the team back significantly. 

Quote: @"Havoc1649" said:
I’m still pissed we didn’t take Jones when we had the chance. It isn’t that he’s a sure thing, it’s just that he has good arm talent and you rarely get a chance at guys like him. He was number one on my board when our pick came and would have been an easy decision for me. 
The biggest difference I see between Cousins and guys like Brady or really any higher tier guy is they are allowed to read the defense pre-play and make adjustments. It doesn’t appear that Cousins is allowed this kind of flexibility. He’s expected to run the called play regardless of what he’s seeing. In my opinion, this is holding the team back significantly. 
Part of the reason Brady was successful: Bucs quarterback Tom Brady had only three offensive coordinators in his 20 seasons with the Patriots: Charlie Weiss, Bill O’Brien and Josh McDaniels. And they all put in the same system with limited tweaks. 

Quote: @"Havoc1649" said:
I agree, you do not get the chance to draft one of the top QBs in the draft often and Jones was just sitting there for us at at time when we needed a QB badly.

I can't imagine at his age that Cousins doesn't have the option to change the play.  To me, what ultimately lost the game for us was the number of crucial plays that the Bengals flooded the line with an obvious blitz and Kirk just went into a standard drop as if he was going to have all day to pass.  Great QBs love to see teams do that, because they know it can expose the secondary.  You do not see teams doing that against Brady.  

I watched the Rams and Bears. Rams have a complete team. They have the coaching as well. Stafford's strengths were definitely played to.

Stafford looked good, amazing what happens behind a competent OL huh…!?
McVay out coaching many & is still one of the youngest head coaches in the league.

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
McVay out coaching many & is still one of the youngest head coaches in the league.

Pretty sure they said on the broadcast last night that he’s still THE youngest. 4 years younger than the next youngest guy. Impressive. 

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
@"Kentis" said:

Pretty sure they said on the broadcast last night that he’s still THE youngest. 4 years younger than the next youngest guy. Impressive. 

Yeah I was hedging a bit on my 61 yr old memory, Lol…!  B)

Quote: @"SFVikeFan" said:
@"comet52" said:
Cousins can move a bit when he needs to, it's not like he's a Tom Brady statue back there.  The issue is he's slow to read what's in front of him, which coupled with the shitshow oline makes it tough in pressure situations.  Those are where he usually fails, in between him putting up all those stats that get people believing he's more than what he basically is--a mid-tier guy.
Here's the thing - Brady is not mobile, yet he finds ways to move within the pocket and avoid sacks and pressures.

Cousins looks like a blind guy on crutches sliding into pressure.  He has zero feel. None.

Cousins is a bigger issue than any here want to admit.
I disagree on the feel part, I've seen him move in the pocket.  The problem is holding the ball, and holding, and holding.  He doesn't read/process fast enough, and he also has a tendency to want to throw to a perfectly open guy which isn't always available.   Or rather, it usually is in some short of the marker check-down which he's known for.    He has decent physical talent but the mental and instinctive part of the passing game is not his forte, which is why he'll never be in the top 5-7 elite level.   

Quote: @"comet52" said:
@"SFVikeFan" said:
@"comet52" said:
Cousins can move a bit when he needs to, it's not like he's a Tom Brady statue back there.  The issue is he's slow to read what's in front of him, which coupled with the shitshow oline makes it tough in pressure situations.  Those are where he usually fails, in between him putting up all those stats that get people believing he's more than what he basically is--a mid-tier guy.
Here's the thing - Brady is not mobile, yet he finds ways to move within the pocket and avoid sacks and pressures.

Cousins looks like a blind guy on crutches sliding into pressure.  He has zero feel. None.

Cousins is a bigger issue than any here want to admit.
I disagree on the feel part, I've seen him move in the pocket.  The problem is holding the ball, and holding, and holding.  He doesn't read/process fast enough, and he also has a tendency to want to throw to a perfectly open guy which isn't always available.   Or rather, it usually is in some short of the marker check-down which he's known for.    He has decent physical talent but the mental and instinctive part of the passing game is not his forte, which is why he'll never be in the top 5-7 elite level.   
He wants his receivers to be open before he throws. He doesn't often throw them open. That's why his stats are good despite an average won loss record. It is also why I thought Diggs left. Slow to make a decision and reluctant to take a chance, despite great accuracy. None of that helps an already challenged O-line.
I think you hit the nail on the head.