Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: incentive to attract workers

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/14233064...47619?s=19

There are usually some strings to these programs.  One Corp I worked for would recruit new grads out of universities and offer great relocation packages, mortgage assist and student loan payments.  The young ones, engineerlings as they were called, where usually heavily in debt and this looked great.  They were located in rural cultural and talent deserts, NW IA, Central NE.  Payed okay but no OT, worked the living daylights out of them, alternating weekends, holidays.  The kicker was they had to repay everything if they left before three years, I would say 40 to 50% got out before a year.  Indentured servitude is the best term I can think of, another thing that comes to mind is the company store, you could get special car financing.  

Quote: @BigAl99 said:

There are usually some strings to these programs.  One Corp I worked for would recruit new grads out of universities and offer great relocation packages, mortgage assist and student loan payments.  The young ones, engineerlings as they were called, where usually heavily in debt and this looked great.  They were located in rural cultural and talent deserts, NW IA, Central NE.  Payed okay but no OT, worked the living daylights out of them, alternating weekends, holidays.  The kicker was they had to repay everything if they left before three years, I would say 40 to 50% got out before a year.  Indentured servitude is the best term I can think of, another thing that comes to mind is the company store, you could get special car financing.  
Yeah we'll see if there are lawsuits in a year or not.

No doubt there is strings attached...The BIG FOOD company I used to work for had a similar program - but for graduate degrees.

And hell yes there were strings attached. That said, the Target Corp culture that I know of (from people that work there) sounds pretty good for a Corp Job. 

I used to call on Target buyers and that gave me a pretty good perspective of life working there too. It would have been a good fit for me 10-15 years ago. 

All in all, I would classify it under "privileged to work there" if you think about the culture, pay and benefits. 

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@BigAl99 said:

Yeah we'll see if there are lawsuits in a year or not.

Everything is upfront and legal, HR knows the drill, it was a great deal if you could deal with it.  It was just hard work, the OT exempt rules are pretty clear, if you make more than some where around 700 a week gross salary, you are not entitled to overtime. That's just over 36K, they probably started them in the high 40's mid 50's depending on degree.  That company always showed your annual compensation package with their insurance contributions as a line item, but was not taxable income, just a shady bottom line manufacturer.  I stayed about 18 months, one project. and had negotiated my severance package before I started, they were desperate.

So….higher or lower chance of getting shot on the job vs the army?

Quote: @AGRforever said:
So….higher or lower chance of getting shot on the job vs the army?
It's target...the answer is right there in the name isnt it?

Strings attached for sure for how long you stay employed being the number 1 thing. I also dealt with Target buyers back in the day, usually younger kids not too far out of college. They got a lot of things wrong before they got them right.