Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jonathan Ogden 2.0
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Ron Yary was 6-5, 255 lbs and would need an elevator to do that. 
...and just an update. This is exactly Anthony Barr's size. Imagine Anthony Barr playing right tackle. Times they are a changin. It wasn't that long ago when a 300 lb lineman was considered enormous--a rarity. Now linemen UNDER 300 lbs are a rarity. 

Will it ever stop? Will we hit a point where humans just can't get any bigger and faster? 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Skodin said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
The best college football factory on the planet keeps churning em out...

That was incredible and funny all at the same time. 
and its not going to change anytime soon now that the players are getting paid.  all the lower funded programs might as well close up shop.
Yeah, isn't that how capitalism works?

Pay the student athletes, without them their is no money to split, no NCAA.
This could very well be the start of the end of the ncaa.  Colleges without big money donors will never get any decent prospects, their programs will suffer, and interest will sink as the big money programs become even more dominant.   
I don't see this happening at all. Not to be dramatic, but the NCAA had an amazing racket and now its over. Its stupid its been allowed to exist this long. For those that think 'a free education is enough' for student-athletes, you don't understand at all what that even means with a multi-billion dollar business model. What other entertainment model doesn't pay the entertainers? If you want to argue what having that much money will mean to a 18 year old, that's one thing and a different topic. But lets not act like they don't deserve it. Its WAY overdue. Its free market capitalism.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/blac...e-n1273121
Most Pro sports have salary caps for a reason,  from what I've read so far this new situation is essentially uncapped isnt it?  Say Saban covets a player or even a bunch of players,  whats to keep his boosters from just buying those players through paying them stupid money for their likeness?  I see a handful of colleges getting even better and the rest becoming such a non talker that they will basically be unwatchable for most.  In some cases its  nearly that way now,  but this will even further the competitive divide IMO

I dont care that the students get paid,  but as far as the way college athletics is set up (amateurs competition) that's gone and I think that was part of the appeal.  Now its just minor league pro sports.
I have no doubt some dynamics will change and for the college athletic fundamentalist fan, it might be a big turn off. But regardless, its something that should have happened decades ago. I'm sure it will evolve and that won't be for the better to some fans. But it really was indentured servitude before.
With the emphasis and money in sports these days I dont think it belongs intertwined with our education system anymore.  Its getting ridiculous even at the HS level amd lower where kids are recruited,  parents are paid off,  and many other things.  If half the effort and inputs was put into education  in this country our graduates would be second to none in the world...but nobody write big  checks to support the math club or other scholarly endeavors. Its to bad that kids can't be made to see that they are way way more likely to make a million with their brain than they are their athletic gifts,   especially as pro sports become more global and pull its stars from foreign countries .

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@MaroonBells said:
...and just an update. This is exactly Anthony Barr's size. Imagine Anthony Barr playing right tackle. Times they are a changin. It wasn't that long ago when a 300 lb lineman was considered enormous--a rarity. Now linemen UNDER 300 lbs are a rarity. 

Will it ever stop? Will we hit a point where humans just can't get any bigger and faster? 

I thought we had already hit the plateau tbh...Now I wonder if that's really the case?

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@MaroonBells said:

I thought we had already hit the plateau tbh...Now I wonder if that's really the case?

I sorta think that what we're seeing now is the result of already enormous humans being pulled out of the classrooms and onto football fields and taught how to run, jump and lift, whereas before maybe they weren't seen as potential "athletes." Just too big. So I don't know if they will get any bigger. Humans can only get so big before their size starts working against them. But who knows? With drugs, nutrition, science...who knows where the limit is. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Skodin said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
The best college football factory on the planet keeps churning em out...

That was incredible and funny all at the same time. 
and its not going to change anytime soon now that the players are getting paid.  all the lower funded programs might as well close up shop.
Yeah, isn't that how capitalism works?

Pay the student athletes, without them their is no money to split, no NCAA.
This could very well be the start of the end of the ncaa.  Colleges without big money donors will never get any decent prospects, their programs will suffer, and interest will sink as the big money programs become even more dominant.   
I don't see this happening at all. Not to be dramatic, but the NCAA had an amazing racket and now its over. Its stupid its been allowed to exist this long. For those that think 'a free education is enough' for student-athletes, you don't understand at all what that even means with a multi-billion dollar business model. What other entertainment model doesn't pay the entertainers? If you want to argue what having that much money will mean to a 18 year old, that's one thing and a different topic. But lets not act like they don't deserve it. Its WAY overdue. Its free market capitalism.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/blac...e-n1273121
The NCAA and the big colleges had a huge racket.  But I don't think this is the right solution either.  As Jimmy says, smaller colleges are likely to suffer, but so will other sports.  The football program often paid for many of the other programs that bleed money.  So unfortunately I don't think the big colleges and NCAA are going to lose money, it will just hurt the smaller people.