Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
600 more...
Quote: @greediron said:
interesting when people actually do a bit of journalism on a topic.
https://tnc.news/2021/07/12/six-things-t...l-schools/

so much for the "mass graves" and genocide thrown about by the irresponsible media
The points brought up in the article are so obvious that I had assumed that simple logic would have led the so called journalists covering this story to have eliminated the obvious possibilities before running with it...but once again facts and truth are immaterial to a good shocker headline.  Once again journalism and media at its finest...remind me again why anybody should trust anything that comes from most media outlets?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:

so much for the "mass graves" and genocide thrown about by the irresponsible media
The points brought up in the article are so obvious that I had assumed that simple logic would have led the so called journalists covering this story to have eliminated the obvious possibilities before running with it...but once again facts and truth are immaterial to a good shocker headline.  Once again journalism and media at its finest...remind me again why anybody should trust anything that comes from most media outlets?
exactly

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:

Just curious, what is it about this particular article that gives it standing in your opinion.  I just reread it and it's an opinion piece, It makes accusations that First Nation Tribe's and general media of spreading false information but cites no specific press releases, articles or reports.  Then nit picks if all the of the unmarked graves represents children of the school.  Next point is are these are not mass graves just random un-marked, no proof, just citing the authors Twitter statements and the sites YouTube video's.  I would like to be convinced that this is an example of good investigative journalism, not just an argument against universal broadband access.  Do you differentiate between "Points" and facts when you read things like this? 

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:

Just curious, what is it about this particular article that gives it standing in your opinion.  I just reread it and it's an opinion piece, It makes accusations that First Nation Tribe's and general media of spreading false information but cites no specific press releases, articles or reports.  Then nit picks if all the of the unmarked graves represents children of the school.  Next point is are these are not mass graves just random un-marked, no proof, just citing the authors Twitter statements and the sites YouTube video's.  I would like to be convinced that this is an example of good investigative journalism, not just an argument against universal broadband access.  Do you differentiate between "Points" and facts when you read things like this? 
First, it was about what the media got wrong, not about the tribe.  The use of mass graves in the media is deceptive, that induces thoughts of genocide and mass killings.  If it is unmarked graves, that is more likely individual graves.  That was what the tribe said, not mass graves.  And the tech the tribe used doesn't give details like ages and size, that is the issue with the rampant speculation.  

Quote: @greediron said:
@BigAl99 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:

First, it was about what the media got wrong, not about the tribe.  The use of mass graves in the media is deceptive, that induces thoughts of genocide and mass killings.  If it is unmarked graves, that is more likely individual graves.  That was what the tribe said, not mass graves.  And the tech the tribe used doesn't give details like ages and size, that is the issue with the rampant speculation.  

That's what I don't get, I am following this story, the new's reports are treating it as ongoing, nothing conclusive.  There have been a whole lot of opinion sources doing the speculation though.
"4. NOT mass graves

These are not mass graves. Several media outlets, both in Canada and
international outlets like the BBC, Al Jazeera, the New York Times and
the Washington Post have recklessly and erroneously labeled these
findings as mass graves. 

Quote:How
come so many media outlets described these as a "mass graves"? The
words never appeared in the original news release from Tk'emlúps te
Secwépemc either. The media just made it up.
https://t.co/3iQYW1Afpl
— Candice Malcolm (@CandiceMalcolm) June 4, 2021

Quote:I wonder if the @TorontoStar @BBCNews @nytimes @washingtonpost and countless others will bother issuing corrections or updating their reports with the facts. pic.twitter.com/xtO471Pyb3
— Candice Malcolm (@CandiceMalcolm) June 4, 2021

This is incredibly irresponsible."

Technically this is where citations and sources are required.  Candice did source one thing and that was a correction by the WP.
"It’s good to see that the Washington Post made a correction on their story. Others should follow."

This is where I take issue.
Candice injected her own interpretation

"Mass graves are a hallmark of genocide. They conjure images of pure
evil, the kind of evil that characterized collectivist governments in
the 20th century.

Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot. 

These were truly evil leaders who used mass graves to cover their
atrocities and crimes against humanity. These leaders carried out mass
murder, and the mass graves went hand in hand. 

The use of the term mass graves is wrong, and it is reckless. It
conflates Canada’s policy of forced assimilation through mandatory
universal education, with Nazi death camps."

Follow the only external citation, The WaPo article and the correction was made and there are no references to Hitler, Stalin, Mao or Pot, that's her own creation from the information she has provided.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/202...al-school/correction
Do you use any "news" outlets behind a paywall?

I don't have an issue with her injection there.  She is showing why there is an objection to the term mass graves.  One of the mass media used the term genocide.  Where are they getting that?