Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:
@"IDVikingfan" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:
@"IDVikingfan" said:
@"BigAl99" said:
What's the old saying "indecision is the key to flexibility"
Thank you for the clarification.  I'm not really a political animal and live in conservative state whose government is slow to institute new regulations.  I spent my 39 year career working as a consultant to dairy producers.  Of course, there were numerous regulatory changes that impacted the dairy industry during that time frame. Some changes hastened the departure of smaller, older dairy farms.  Without going into details, most of the changes were appropriate and the industry was given a reasonable time frame to come into compliance.  I'm not against regulations that make sense, are appropriate, and have a reasonable time frame for an industry to come into compliance.  Of course, the "devil is in the details" which makes a general discussion on regulations challenging.

I don't have a specific agenda but do follow developments that may impact the dairy industry and changes that may impact my retirement!  Thumbs up for a reasonable discussion!

Thank you for your response and I think it is illuminating.  I think one line you would draw about regulations are regulation adopted to truly protect public health -- maybe an assumption but I am going with it.  It remind me of two other regulations -- seatbelts and motorcycle helmets.  I remember the true uproar when NH first required seat belts -- it was an infringement against personal freedom.  But, behind it, was a goal of not only saving lives but also preventing people from suffering such injuries that they could no longer be productive for society and might require public assistance.  Same with motorcycle helmets -- NH actually does not require motorcycle helmets if over 18 (I always wore one).  But you can be found negligent in a lawsuit in NH for failure to wear a helmet.  So, regulations in the area of public health is an area of common acceptance with us (I think)  -- though we might not agree where the line gets drawn. 

I do find it disturbing that we as a country have not done enough for small farmers -- I think it is a national disgrace.  I think the big farming companies are bad for the country and bad for the workers.   It is something I wish both parties would address better. 
There is no money in saving small family farms/businesses... ie,  no gain for a politician for either party.,  they all say they are for the little man,  but their actions once elected speak otherwise and much much louder.
Its never been said better by anyone. This is the absolute truth:

While I think there is truth in some of what Carlin says, I also think this kind of cynicism and paranoia toward "the system," "the man," "big business," "big government," "big club," whatever, is what got us here.

It's what leads to QAnon, Anti-vaxxers, etc. Not all politicians are corrupt, the system isn't really rigged. It can be unfair. It can be unjust. But there is no "they" as in some sort of illuminati or cabal working together to keep you down. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:
@"IDVikingfan" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:
@"IDVikingfan" said:
@"BigAl99" said:
What's the old saying "indecision is the key to flexibility"
Thank you for the clarification.  I'm not really a political animal and live in conservative state whose government is slow to institute new regulations.  I spent my 39 year career working as a consultant to dairy producers.  Of course, there were numerous regulatory changes that impacted the dairy industry during that time frame. Some changes hastened the departure of smaller, older dairy farms.  Without going into details, most of the changes were appropriate and the industry was given a reasonable time frame to come into compliance.  I'm not against regulations that make sense, are appropriate, and have a reasonable time frame for an industry to come into compliance.  Of course, the "devil is in the details" which makes a general discussion on regulations challenging.

I don't have a specific agenda but do follow developments that may impact the dairy industry and changes that may impact my retirement!  Thumbs up for a reasonable discussion!

Thank you for your response and I think it is illuminating.  I think one line you would draw about regulations are regulation adopted to truly protect public health -- maybe an assumption but I am going with it.  It remind me of two other regulations -- seatbelts and motorcycle helmets.  I remember the true uproar when NH first required seat belts -- it was an infringement against personal freedom.  But, behind it, was a goal of not only saving lives but also preventing people from suffering such injuries that they could no longer be productive for society and might require public assistance.  Same with motorcycle helmets -- NH actually does not require motorcycle helmets if over 18 (I always wore one).  But you can be found negligent in a lawsuit in NH for failure to wear a helmet.  So, regulations in the area of public health is an area of common acceptance with us (I think)  -- though we might not agree where the line gets drawn. 

I do find it disturbing that we as a country have not done enough for small farmers -- I think it is a national disgrace.  I think the big farming companies are bad for the country and bad for the workers.   It is something I wish both parties would address better. 
There is no money in saving small family farms/businesses... ie,  no gain for a politician for either party.,  they all say they are for the little man,  but their actions once elected speak otherwise and much much louder.
Its never been said better by anyone. This is the absolute truth:

While I think there is truth in some of what Carlin says, I also think this kind of cynicism and paranoia toward "the system," "the man," "big business," "big government," "big club," whatever, is what got us here.

It's what leads to QAnon, Anti-vaxxers, etc. Not all politicians are corrupt, the system isn't really rigged. It can be unfair. It can be unjust. But there is no "they" as in some sort of illuminati or cabal working together to keep you down. 
He's not talking about an Illuminati or Cabal.....you're missing the point if that's what you took from that. There's always been 'owners' of this country, Industrialists like Carnegie, Rockefeller, Mellon, etc. who's wealth was staggering. It just continues to change and evolve. Fast forward to today and you have the same thing just as its always been in this country. They just want you to consume. They put forth propaganda. They know where you are, what you are doing and what you are buying. They manipulate you. 

The game is rigged. Just because there are anomalies to this doesn't make it any less true. The field is tilted big time. And to his point, our apathy will cause it to never change. Ever. The sheep can be pacified. 

essentially what I've been saying forever,  doesnt really matter what color tie (or pants suit) they wear,  they play for the same team and 98%+ of America isnt on that roster.  Look at the pandemic,  look whos wealth and companies rocketed in value (pun intended) and look who was forced to shut down.....follow the money,  it really speaks to who runs this country.