Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SURRATT!!
Quote: @RS Express said:
Well Barr is FA next year and Kendricks is nearing 30, so I'm hoping this is a pick to let a natural talent marinate for a year  soaking up knowledge before unleashing in 2022.  Plus we need LB depth, so it may as well be fast depth.

Which is a nice way of saying we just used picks 66 and 78 on a QB who won't play until at least 2023 and a 2021 ST gunner.
Does he really provide much insurance if Barr leaves in FA? He seems more like a replacement for Wilson, which they also drafted Dye for last year. Maybe the D shifts away from Barr like they had to with Wilson last year, but I was hoping they'd target a bigger LB with some pass rush ability. I knew they weren't going to spend a 1st on someone like Zaven Collins this year, but it does make me wonder if the eventual replacement for Barr is not on the roster.

This pick leaves me scratching my head...I know we needed LB depth, but S and WR were bigger needs imo as is more DE's. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
This pick leaves me scratching my head...I know we needed LB depth, but S and WR were bigger needs imo as is more DE's. 
What part of this guys description makes you think he cant play them all!!!
Smile

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@MaroonBells said:
I never looked at this guy. Am I right thinking that this is the guy who ran the painfully slow 40? Could be wrong about that. Former QB, sounds like he's a project with some upside....

"He's barely played linebacker, so a lot of these mistakes he makes are going to disappear once he gets more snaps. It takes time, but he's smart and competes his ass off, so he'll get it." -- Personnel executive for AFC team
UH...no, not Surratt. Painfully slow 40 belonged to Paris Ford. 
OK, third time's a charm. Yes, Paris Ford ran a very slow time and went from a 3rd ish rounder to a late rounder. But the guy I was thinking of was Sage Surratt. A very good player from Wake Forest, who ran 4.7. Not bad if you're a linebacker, but he's a WR. Turns out he's Chazz's brother, which I didn't know before. 

My thoughts are that Zimmer wants to use him kind of like a Hybird. CB/LB. 
He tried that with Barr but it really didn't work out.

Unsure of the reason but I believe Sage and Chazz went to different high schools - Lincolnton and East Lincoln respectively. Chazz was a productive high school QB but unable to handle the position at the collegiate level.  I found this a surprising pick. Chazz has done a good job acclimating to the LB position in a short time but is still very raw. Good speed but overruns plays often and needs to add strength. Special teamer at the moment, will be interesting to see how he develops. I really liked the three second round linebackers - especially Koramoah - as well as Ojulari and Bolton. We really missed that second rounder.

BROOKS' SLEEPER
Chazz Surratt, North Carolina. The former quarterback turned linebacker possesses an intriguing skill set that could enable him to flourish as a "run-and-chase" playmaker. Surratt displays outstanding instincts and awareness in coverage while flashing a burst and wiggle shooting through gaps on blitzes. Although the North Carolina product is still acclimating to the position, he needs some seasoning to blossom into an all-star at the pro level. If Surratt is given some time to develop, he could become the difference maker that some evaluators envision when assessing his traits.
POSITION RANKING: Fifth of 10.