Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Day 2 Needs
Instead of listing players I think we should look at what the team needs are following day 1, should make identifying targets in 2nd and 3rd easier.

So that said, going forward the Vikings need edge, in line TE, guard, WR, LB, S, QB in no specific order.  So looking at what's available and the strength of this draft what position do you see the Vikings next pick as?
People sleep peacably at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Besides OT, I can't think of a single position this team doesn't need.  I think all positions on D are highly needed (yes, including CB), and OG, TE, and WRs are all needed on offense.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
Besides OT, I can't think of a single position this team doesn't need.  I think all positions on D are highly needed (yes, including CB), and OG, TE, and WRs are all needed on offense.
This made me chuckle but you’re not wrong. D-line is a glaring need but the DE run seems to have already begun so we might have to wait on that. DT would be the next best thing. Secondary help is always welcome and I’m contractually obligated to say QB as well. 

Listening to Rick's interview, he mentioned moving up in the 2nd round with the draft capital they have several times. To me, they are targeting an Edge Rusher in that scenario. He also mentioned staying true to their draft board and taking BPA for their 3rd and 4th round picks. Based on all of our needs, I believe him when he says it. Just because we have all of those picks doesn't mean we will find a willing trade partner to move up. There are a ton of starters still on the board for Round 2 and with the lack of player info this year, I think teams are more hesitant to take the risk of moving around. I'm a big Boogie Basham fan but I think we would have to move up in the top 1/3rd of the 2nd round to get him. We will see.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
Just depends on if you're talking about starting positions or depth. In terms of depth, yeah, every position could use some. 

In terms of starting positions, I see three, maybe four, in this order: 1. An edge to upgrade or rotate with Wonnum and Weatherly. 2. A WR3 to push Bisi and Beebe down to 4 and 5 where they belong. 3. A linebacker to compete with Dye, Vigil and Smith at WIL (hopefully one who can eventually replace Barr) and 4. A guard to compete with Cole at LG. 

All of these positions have feasible options already in place, but all could either use an upgrade or some serious competition. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@HappyViking said:
Just depends on if you're talking about starting positions or depth. In terms of depth, yeah, every position could use some. 

In terms of starting positions, I see three, maybe four, in this order: 1. An edge to upgrade or rotate with Wonnum and Weatherly. 2. A WR3 to push Bisi and Beebe down to 4 and 5 where they belong. 3. A linebacker to compete with Dye, Vigil and Smith at WIL (hopefully one who can eventually replace Barr) and 4. A guard to compete with Cole at LG. 

All of these positions have feasible options already in place, but all could either use an upgrade or some serious competition. 
agree with all your points, glad we have firepower to get what they want.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@HappyViking said:

I'm curious if the Vikings will give Udoh a legitimate shot at a starting role this year. I think he definitely could make the transition to LG and now that he has experience with this team and the system, I would be in favor of that instead of starting two rookies on the left side of the OLine. I'm not holding out a lot of hope that Cole will be our starting LG. He and Dozier will be fighting for a roster spot as a backup IMO. 

Quote: @TBro said:
Listening to Rick's interview, he mentioned moving up in the 2nd round with the draft capital they have several times. To me, they are targeting an Edge Rusher in that scenario. He also mentioned staying true to their draft board and taking BPA for their 3rd and 4th round picks. Based on all of our needs, I believe him when he says it. Just because we have all of those picks doesn't mean we will find a willing trade partner to move up. There are a ton of starters still on the board for Round 2 and with the lack of player info this year, I think teams are more hesitant to take the risk of moving around. I'm a big Boogie Basham fan but I think we would have to move up in the top 1/3rd of the 2nd round to get him. We will see.
I'm with you on Basham, but I think he goes early tonight. I don't see us moving higher than the middle 2nd. They have plenty of ammo to move to the top of the 2nd. It's just gonna be hard to find a team that wants to move down that far.