Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trader Rick!
Quote: @Nichelle said:
From twitter of course...

[Image: E0MNBcvXsAA0nFq?format=jpg&name=medium]
I DVR'd the draft and watched after getting home from work, not knowing what happened.  When we traded out of 14 and the Jets took AVT I was sure we were going edge and I just shook my head.  Then the Raiders take Leatherwood, Phillips and Paye go and Darrisaw is falling right into our laps and I'm shaking my head again meaning "you slick bastard Spielman".

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
WOW! Extremely happy with the end result but jeez that was intense. 

I honestly don’t think we got fair value when you look at what NYG got for moving back 9 spots also. I know QB tax is a thing but they got a waaaaaay better haul than we did. So I was bummed at the time.

... but that’s in the past! Vikes got our guy and picked up a free 3rd and also swapped a 4th for a 3rd.

And we addressed OL! I knew Rick would do the right thing in that regard. Glaring need. Cannot complain. Excited for tomorrow. 
Giants were trading the 11th pick. That's a much more valuable pick than the 14th. Even still, they only got a 5th rounder this year. They did get a 1st and a 4th next year, but those are equivalent to a 2nd and a 5th in the current year. 

So Vikes gave up a 4th and got two 3rds. Giants got a 2nd and two 5ths. Meh. 
Yeah. I didn’t say we got fleeced, just that I’d much rather have the Jets’ (who stink!) first rounder for next year— a year with a full combine, college season, and Kirk on the last year of his current deal— than what we got. I’m guessing you would too. It probably wasn’t on the table but for a few minutes it seemed like it could’ve been. 

But oh well! Like I said I’m still excited about moving back and getting Darrisaw, so it’s still gravy. Good job, RS.

Ballsy shrewd move to drop 9 spots and still get the guy ya need and want. 

The trade down last night  helped recoup the lost cost of Ngakoue

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
Ended up with who we should have drafted at 14, wow how lucky is that. Great trade
Yeah but was it luck? Vikings clearly didn't want AVT. Probably because he's a guard. It's possible the Vikings knew that the Raiders liked Leatherwood (fits them better than us) and would take him over Darrisaw. And they were the only team between 14 and 23 who would take an OL. 

Just speculating, but they wouldn't have traded down unless they knew they would still have a handful of players they liked available to them. 

Its not quite that, its that they had 4 players equally graded and if you can pickup two 3rds and still get one of those guys its a much better value. So I would say that suggests they didn't "love" AVT but it isn't that they didn't want him either. 

Quote: @Mattyman said:

That's a really good point.  Speaking of points:

Pick 48 value - 440 points we gave up to Jags
Pick 66+86 = 420 points we got from Jets
Then add pick 168 and unknown value late round pick from Ravens in 2022. 

draft pick value chart
 Trader A   gave up Pick Number 48 (to get Yannick from Jags)Trader B    gets 66+86+168 (plus a late 2022 pick unknown) 
Trade Totals
Trader A Gives Value:   440
Trader B Gives Value:   445.2

Gain/Loss %
Trader A:   +1.18%
Trader B:   -1.17%

So in the end trader Rick got a little more points in return when all is said and done.  Different team trades but again in totality Rick made the 6 game mess a little better.  Still a crappy trade but as you say it softens the blow somewhat at least for me.

Quote: @Nichelle said:
From twitter of course...

[Image: E0MNBcvXsAA0nFq?format=jpg&name=medium]
Honestly, after Slater went, I was hoping for the trade down. 

Quote: @minny65 said:
@Mattyman said:

That's a really good point.  Speaking of points:

Pick 48 value - 440 points we gave up to Jags
Pick 66+86 = 420 points we got from Jets
Then add pick 168 and unknown value late round pick from Ravens in 2022. 

draft pick value chart
 Trader A   gave up Pick Number 48 (to get Yannick from Jags)Trader B    gets 66+86+168 (plus a late 2022 pick unknown) 
Trade Totals
Trader A Gives Value:   440
Trader B Gives Value:   445.2

Gain/Loss %
Trader A:   +1.18%
Trader B:   -1.17%

So in the end trader Rick got a little more points in return when all is said and done.  Different team trades but again in totality Rick made the 6 game mess a little better.  Still a crappy trade but as you say it softens the blow somewhat at least for me.
Very interesting. Thanks for putting that together. Never thought of throwing NGakoue into the mix to see how it all washed out. 

Just shows that teams shouldn't be so afraid to trade in the NFL. If it doesn't work out, it's not that hard to recoup your loss in the draft. It's more than a selection meeting; it's a bank full of capital to be traded and exchanged. Few GMs understand this better than ours.