Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Justin Fields Has Epilepsy

[Image: MaAIgBaS_normal.jpg]
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
· 1h
OSU QB Justin Fields has confirmed to NFL teams during the pre-draft process that he is managing epilepsy – a neurological disorder that can cause seizures, per me and @TomPelissero. It has not affected football & doctors believe he’ll outgrow it as his other family members have.

[Image: 92s1bhaysk05.gif]

No word on Dak.

Outgrow? I honestly had no idea that was something he can outgrow. Glad he takes medicine to balance things out

I also have epilepsy.  It really depends on what/if drugs are able to slow/stop seizures and then how long they'll work. 

I've had 3ish "big ones".  After my fist one I lost all memory for about the six months prior and had terrible short term memory for the six months after.  The worst part is they take your drivers license for 6 months following one.  I was allergic to 2 medications and was able to handle one until they found out it was making me hallucinate.  I've been on a different one long term now and have had no issues.
What he will have to struggle with is his triggers. For me its lack of sleep and weirdly enough dehydration.  This means I need to get to sleep at night and cannot take sudafed or its friends for allergy season which SUCKS!!!!!

I don't know if he is a party'er or not but I could see this hampering his night lifestyle as someone "famous". 

There are so many different kinds of epilepsy. The meds can be pretty potent and almost all have negative side effects. It has really changed my son's life. He is more than functional with the meds, but they do effect his drive and energy. However, if Fields has an adolescent type of epilepsy and he has been playing at such a high level while on meds, he will most likely be fine and could outgrow it. My son had absence seizures (which is what Fields has, I believe) but they never occurred while playing football or driving. My son's turned into grand mal after he graduated though. Thankfully, his only happen in the morning hours and seldom has them with meds. It will probably cause teams to think twice.

Quote: @PurplePastor said:
There are so many different kinds of epilepsy. The meds can be pretty potent and almost all have negative side effects. It has really changed my son's life. He is more than functional with the meds, but they do effect his drive and energy. However, if Fields has an adolescent type of epilepsy and he has been playing at such a high level while on meds, he will most likely be fine and could outgrow it. My son had absence seizures (which is what Fields has, I believe) but they never occurred while playing football or driving. My son's turned into grand mal after he graduated though. Thankfully, his only happen in the morning hours and seldom has them with meds. It will probably cause teams to think twice.

Good to hear your son is doing well on meds.  Since I switched meds it hasn't been a problem but I could tell hours in advance if it was going to be a problem and just hunker down.  In my case it'd be hard to have a brutal travel schedule from lack of sleep but I'd assume he'll be taken care of by whomever drafts him.  

Certainly something to keep in mind when drafting him, but probably doesn't affect his ability to QB as he'll have the best of the best taking care of him.  I'm not sure I want him as the future Viking QB for reasons other then his epilepsy history but I wish him all the luck. 

Thanks for the input AGR and PurplePastor. I'm not overly familiar with this so sharing is insightful

I have epilepsy. I was diagnosed at 16. It took 10 years to get the right medication but it worked. I was off medication while pregnant and had no issues. Back on medication. The early meds were a trial and error process but it has been good ever since.