Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So how is this going to work?
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/21/us/los-an...index.html

Los Angeles has been shipping homeless people out of state for years. Now they are going to offer all of them on Skid Row housing?? Not sure if any of you have seen what its like on Skid Row, its absolutely insane. It looks like a third world city area. City officials have just let this area rot away. Dealing with homeless populations is a concern for cities with decent weather year round, I get that. But offering all of them housing? I don't have answers, not pretending I do. I know mental illness plays a role in this for some. Yet homeowners and business owners don't want them anywhere around them. Not sure how handing them anything is going to take care of the situation. 

This is part of the reason people are leaving California in droves. Talked to a guy who just moved down here from San Francisco: you know why they moved? His wife stepped in a pile of human shit on the sidewalk more than once. They just shit on the sidewalks downtown. They hire people just to clean up human waste.

And yet California gets the most representatives in congress and some people bitch about SD and other little states having 1.

Cali is so screwed up it makes the US govt look almost competent. 

If you haven't seen "The Vanishing at Cecil Hotel" it's about LA skid row and the gentrification of the area.  It's a great watch, the hotel mgr. is just a fascinating contrast of reality and an accounting degree, she's a hoot.    

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
If you haven't seen "The Vanishing at Cecil Hotel" it's about LA skid row and the gentrification of the area.  It's a great watch, the hotel mgr. is just a fascinating contrast of reality and an accounting degree, she's a hoot.    
Loved that. I'm really fascinated by the history of Old LA. I didn't realize this until I saw the documentary, but the hotel in Barton Fink, one of my favorite movies of all time, was modeled after the Cecil. 

Take what we spend on the military every 3 days and reroute those funds to serving the those in need. 

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
Yeah, I watched it. I actually had watched another documentary on the girl and her weird demise years ago. What they didn't hit on much in this version was the girl (Elisa Lam) had a history of mental health issues. She had done flaky things in the past before this. So she either got some kind of drug from Skid Row to experiment with or she had some kind of mental episode. But this doc went full conspiracy theory, lol. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@BigAl99 said:
Yeah, I watched it. I actually had watched another documentary on the girl and her weird demise years ago. What they didn't hit on much in this version was the girl (Elisa Lam) had a history of mental health issues. She had done flaky things in the past before this. So she either got some kind of drug from Skid Row to experiment with or she had some kind of mental episode. But this doc went full conspiracy theory, lol. 
Yeah they paraded everything out before that.  What blew me away was the British couple and how their adventure evolved.  That and how the hotel was subdivided but still had a common place both populations were funneled through.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Take what we spend on the military every 3 days and reroute those funds to serving the those in need. 

Take what we spend on the military for 9 months and we could do a whole lot more......and/or reduce what we're already overspending on .gov in general.
Plus we should institute a war tax.  If a war is so important to fight the population should pay for it with an increased tax that comes out of paychecks/ssdi/ss/pensions etc.  If we all had to write a check for a war we'd fight dramatically less of them and spend significantly less time, money and lives ending them. 

Sorry to hijack the thread. 

As for homeless?  I have a hard time with this.  Most of me says if we're going to provide them with housing we should also provide/require a job from them.  It could be anything that benefits society.  I also know that there are people who cannot work do to a mental or physical illness.