Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest cap space
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Dont they still need about $5mm set aside for rooks?
i think it's $3.2 ish? Someone actually did the math and came up with a precise number. I always thought about $5M too, but as someone on twitter recently explained, rather than add the rookie contracts together, you need to consider that incoming rookies take the place of veteran salaries on the 53, so it's lower than one might think.

$7.4M (current), plus $7.9 (Rudy 6/1) = $15.3 - $3.2M (rookies) = $12.1M of usable 2021 cap space between now and training camp. And this number doesn't include whatever money they will save with a Harry extension (small) and a Hunter extension (large).

Like I said, Vikings have plenty of money to go for it if they really want to. 

Quote: @VikeMike52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@rf54 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@rf54 said:
just to put things in perspective the WFT traded Trent Williams for a 2020 5th and a 2021 3rd round pick.  No need to trade #14 for OB.
Big difference is trent williams is 32. OBJ is 24 on rookie contract. Ravens will get more for Orlando. 
not alot more Trent was a top OT, and OB is a pretty good OT, that will need to be signed to a big contract.  Highly doubt they will get a 1st.  Definitely not top half of rd 1. 
Huge difference in the trade value between 32 and 24. No, I doubt Vikings would give 14 straight up. I think the balance might be something like 14 for OBJ and 58.

Vikings will want OBJ and 27, but a 24-year-old, two-time pro bowl tackle is worth more than simply moving down 13 slots. If it happens it will likely be something in between the two. 
I think Geoff said awhile ago that a swap of 1st rounders and the Vikings add a 3rd rounder might work. Seems to make sense to me.
I think that's too low. I think it's more likely they get 14 and we get 58. That gives them two 1st rounders and we get our 2nd rounder back.

We have to remember that OBJ is just 24 years old and he's already been to two Pro Bowls. There are several rookies in this year's draft that our 24 years old, and this one's already proven, unlike even Sewell, Slater, etc. 

The two things that i think trigger the trade are this: the tackle the Vikings want is off the board and one of Chase, Smith and Waddle are on the board. Ravens want a WR. If it plays out this way i can see the trade happening. We also have to consider that all of the other teams interested in OBJ will also have similar trigger scenarios mapped out. And one of theirs might trump the Vikings'. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@VikeMike52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@rf54 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@rf54 said:
just to put things in perspective the WFT traded Trent Williams for a 2020 5th and a 2021 3rd round pick.  No need to trade #14 for OB.
Big difference is trent williams is 32. OBJ is 24 on rookie contract. Ravens will get more for Orlando. 
not alot more Trent was a top OT, and OB is a pretty good OT, that will need to be signed to a big contract.  Highly doubt they will get a 1st.  Definitely not top half of rd 1. 
Huge difference in the trade value between 32 and 24. No, I doubt Vikings would give 14 straight up. I think the balance might be something like 14 for OBJ and 58.

Vikings will want OBJ and 27, but a 24-year-old, two-time pro bowl tackle is worth more than simply moving down 13 slots. If it happens it will likely be something in between the two. 
I think Geoff said awhile ago that a swap of 1st rounders and the Vikings add a 3rd rounder might work. Seems to make sense to me.
I think that's too low. I think it's more likely they get 14 and we get 58. That gives them two 1st rounders and we get our 2nd rounder back.

We have to remember that OBJ is just 24 years old and he's already been to two Pro Bowls. There are several rookies in this year's draft that our 24 years old, and this one's already proven, unlike even Sewell, Slater, etc. 

The two things that i think trigger the trade are this: the tackle the Vikings want is off the board and one of Chase, Smith and Waddle are on the board. Ravens want a WR. If it plays out this way i can see the trade happening. We also have to consider that all of the other teams interested in OBJ will also have similar trigger scenarios mapped out. And one of theirs might Trump the Vikings'. 

Pretty sound reasoning and I wouldn’t feel bad about it working out this way.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@VikeMike52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@rf54 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@rf54 said:

The two things that i think trigger the trade are this: the tackle the Vikings want is off the board and one of Chase, Smith and Waddle are on the board. Ravens want a WR. If it plays out this way i can see the trade happening. We also have to consider that all of the other teams interested in OBJ will also have similar trigger scenarios mapped out. And one of theirs might trump the Vikings'. 

You make a good point about Brown's age, talent, and being on the last year of his rookie deal, but don't forget, he wants OUT.  This has gone public and that certainly impacts his trade value (negatively).

If you look at the draft trade chart (old one and new one), the #14 pick is extremely valuable.  I would argue it's worth even more this year with the number of QBs projected to go early which will push some blue chip prospects much lower than they would go in a normal draft.

If the Ravens could turn their late first rounder into a premium pick in the first round of this draft plus a mid round pick for a player who doesn't want to be there...  I think they would take that.

The trade compensation isn't the issue with Orlando Brown. Him wanting to be paid at the top of the LT market is a bigger issue. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
The trade compensation isn't the issue with Orlando Brown. Him wanting to be paid at the top of the LT market is a bigger issue. 

So, deal breaker...?