Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings get a new OL. Mason Cole
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@Nichelle said:
Another one of Cole v Tomlinson...

https://twitter.com/LukeBraunNFL/status/...13955?s=20
Didn't seem so much a hands issue.  Kept his hands working the whole time.  It was the fact that he ended up doing a 5 step drop as the Center.
this is more of a credit to Tomlinson, everytime Cole tried to set anchor Tomlinson adjusted his rush to make Cole reset his feet and stayed with him as opposed to what we have seen which is an anchor and a whiff as the DT blows by and our OL stumble as they reach for tail feathers.
Yeah, Tomlinson bulled him back and ruined the pocket.  My comment was why complain about the hands when it was the lack of anchor that was the issue IMO.

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@Nichelle said:
Another one of Cole v Tomlinson...

https://twitter.com/LukeBraunNFL/status/...13955?s=20
Didn't seem so much a hands issue.  Kept his hands working the whole time.  It was the fact that he ended up doing a 5 step drop as the Center.
this is more of a credit to Tomlinson, everytime Cole tried to set anchor Tomlinson adjusted his rush to make Cole reset his feet and stayed with him as opposed to what we have seen which is an anchor and a whiff as the DT blows by and our OL stumble as they reach for tail feathers.
Yeah, Tomlinson bulled him back and ruined the pocket.  My comment was why complain about the hands when it was the lack of anchor that was the issue IMO.
agreed,  but my point is when the DL rushes like that its pretty hard to set up when he came like a mad man left, right, left right... of course that takes a ton of energy out of a player to rush like that and is not sustainable, but it should be fun to watch him if he gets a rotational rest.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
For a 6th rounder from AZ
Spelly:

mic drop

Read about six pages about Cole on a cardinals forum and the fans there didn't think he was very good. The one and only positive post I could find was,

"I agree with the trade of Cole. But watch him become a better player this season because he is a much better fit in their pure outsize zone and run heavy playcalling. Cole will never be a strong anchor vs NFL DTs because he plays too tall and light, no matter if at C or G. He will never get much push in the power game. But put him on the move with combo blocks, he will fit the Vikings well."

He may work out at guard. I just hope he isn't another free agent scrub penciled in to hold down a starting position. Because he appears to be more of what the Vikings already have; a guy that can run block but doesn't have the functional strength to anchor against bigger defensive tackles when bull rushed.

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:

He may work out at guard. I just hope he isn't another free agent scrub penciled in to hold down a starting position. Because he appears to be more of what the Vikings already have; a guy that can run block but doesn't have the functional strength to anchor against bigger defensive tackles when bull rushed.

Good thing the Vikings dont have to play Chicago DL twice a year...DOH! 

What happened to those forces inside Eagan who used to advocate for OG greatness? Like Steve Hutchinson great? Poison pill great? That's when the Vikings had brass balls.

As a fan hoping for significant OL improvement? This signing does nothing for me, but he may give us a decent ROI for a 6th rd pick. 

What a different conversation from signing a great OG. 

Here's what Viking's fans might not always realize: every other team's fans also complain about how their guards get manhandled by the stronger NTs in the NFL. The top 8 NTs/DTs in the league are monsters. Straight up. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Here's what Viking's fans might not always realize: every other team's fans also complain about how their guards get manhandled by the stronger NTs in the NFL. The top 8 NTs/DTs in the league are monsters. Straight up. 
C'mon...

You really want me to believe players like A. Hicks and A. Donald are a handful?