Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viking sign LB Nick Vigil

Vikings to sign LB Nick Vigil? (msn.com)

Nick Vigil is joining the Vikings. NFL.com’s Tom Pelissero reports (via Twitter) that the free-agent linebacker is signing with Minnesota. It will be a one-year deal that includes $1 million in guaranteed money. Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press tweets that the deal is worth $1.75 million, and that total could increase to as much as $2.3 million.
The 2016 third-round pick out of Utah State spent the first four seasons of his career with the Bengals, including a 2019 campaign during which he started 16 games and compiled a career-high 111 tackles. Vigil had to settle for a one-year deal with the Chargers last offseason, and he also had to settle into more of a backup role with his new team. The 27-year-old ultimately started only two of his 15 games in 2020, finishing with 50 tackles and a pair of sacks.
In Minnesota, Vigil will be reunited with senior defensive assistant Paul Guenther; the veteran coach was the Bengals defensive coordinator during Vigil’s first two seasons in the NFL. This is the second notable linebacker move the Vikings have made on Monday; Minnesota also made major adjustments to Anthony Barr‘s contract.

Underrated signing.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Underrated signing.
Yea I am guessing a replacement for Wilson.

While I understand the  need to replace Wilson & I don't want to be the type of fan that complains about a one year contract w/ only $1M guaranteed, Minny has 9 Day 3 picks. They couldn't find a LB on Day 3 to do what Vigil does? What am I missing about this player?

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
While I understand the  need to replace Wilson & I don't want to be the type of fan that complains about a one year contract w/ only $1M guaranteed, Minny has 9 Day 3 picks. They couldn't find a LB on Day 3 to do what Vigil does? What am I missing about this player?
Two seasons in Guenther's D, which should be fairly similar to what Zim runs. Draft for value, fill needs via FA.