Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So we tinker with the line today...
It will take time and it sucks that Reiff missed so much of the preseason.  But they will gel and I feel better about our depth as well.  I like Easton as you say, a young Berger. 

The other thing to think about, other than Boone, we are turning over ever position on the line.  Might be alright to have one guy staying put.  Berger finished the year at RG so really 1 1/2 positions.  Give it some time and yes, avoid the trendy over reactions.

Boone has been in steady decline since his last 2 years in SF. He isn't going to suddenly get better. Easton is the heir apparent, and the sooner the better. He may have had a whiff last week, but he was clearly holding his own against a very good Seattle defense. I'll take growing pains over dying pains any day. Boone is gone after this year. I don't think anyone will argue that.

There is no time to 'gel'  the season starts in 12 days. These guys are professionals and have played  pro football  before. It's D-Day and the doors of the landing crafts are starting to open. No time to do anything except go forward or be buried in the sand!.

Well, put it this way, the o-line will become more comfortable and more of a unit the more they play together.  That will happen in the regular season just as well as the pre-season.  Ideally it would have had more time in the pre-season, but since it didn't, it will happen during the regular season. 

Professionals or not, working together as a unit takes time.