Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zim says early confidence expressed on defense was misplaced and he was wrong.
Quote:From Profootballtalk.com:
The Vikings parted ways with a number of veteran defenders, including defensive end Everson Griffen, defensive tackle Linval Joseph, and three cornerbacks who were regulars in the lineup. The team expressed confidence that they would be strong defensively despite the departures, but head coach Mike Zimmer said on Tuesday that it was misplaced.

I probably miscalculated some things going into the season when we lost all the guys that we lost the year before,” Zimmer said, via Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press. “We had a complete overhaul on defense, and sometimes that happens when you get to Year 7.”
And this in a nutshell is what some of us have been saying all along. The core issue here was not the injuries or departures. It was the misplaced confidence that we will be OK. Everyone knew it was going to be hard except Zim and Rick. Now Zim just admitted that his/their judgement was wrong. The question here is, will anyone take a fall for the misplaced confidence and miscalculations? Probably not.

It's another episode of, "Mike Zimmer, Head Coach in Training". In past years, he has said he was going to ask fellow head coaches for input on his performance, go back to Master Parcells, bring in some assistants with head coaching experience to guide him... Wasn't his long experience in the NFL and his maturity one of the great things he was supposed to bring to this job? Sean McVay has more maturity as a HC than Zimmer!

I know a lot of people still put value in Zimmer being recommended to the Wilfs by Parcells. But: I have had great employees work for me over the years, and many want to move their careers into management roles, and in some cases, I don't think they are suited for it and would be happier in non-management jobs. I have given them that feedback, but some still want to, for financial or other reasons. Know what I do when they apply for a management role and someone asks me for a reference? I heartily endorse the person I know. Why not? Someone has worked for me with great effectiveness, they want to try a different route, and who am I to veto that desire? So my belief is that Zimmer is not suited to be a head coach, and Parcells might even have known that - but why would he tell that to the Wilfs? Shouldn't he be more loyal to his friend Zimmer? Being an NFL DC is not badly paid, but probably a fraction of any head coaching salary.

That Parcells Endorsement shouldn't outweigh the evidence of 8 years. 

Minnesota Vikings
So much was expected, so little was delivered. The Minnesota Vikings came up way short in 2020. Mike Zimmer can talk about injuries and other issues all he wants, but this team was expected to step up and battle Green Bay, not finish third. Grade C-minus

I think the Covid issue of not having minicamps or preseason games stunted growth of CB’s.  

That being said I remember Trae Waynes rookie year was a disaster and he was a higher pick, turned out pretty good (not great).

Who's excited for year 8 of Mike Zimmer?

Zimmer “ I probably miscalculated some things....”

Ya think?   My god, his huge ego and hubris largely led to the poor play on defense this year, and don’t forget the “ I've never had a bad defense...” comment as well.    This guy has been in professional football for how many years, and he didn’t think that losing 3 players along the DL ( Griff, Weatherly and Joseph), and the top three CBs on the roster would have a huge impact on his defense?  Obviously the opt out by Pierce and the injuries certainly impacted things as well, but you have to prepare for those eventualities like other teams do by having solid depth.  It does not appear we have much quality depth that can produce at a decent NFL level yet.

I'm trying to remember what my own expectations were coming into this year...Knowing Waynes, XR and MacAlex were all gone?  Once Pierce and Hunter were gone, whatever they were went down the s hitter.

I think I was in the 7-9 win range expectation. 

Quote: @Magnus10 said:
Zimmer “ I probably miscalculated some things....”

Ya think?   My god, his huge ego and hubris largely led to the poor play on defense this year, and don’t forget the “ I've never had a bad defense...” comment as well.    This guy has been in professional football for how many years, and he didn’t think that losing 3 players along the DL ( Griff, Weatherly and Joseph), and the top three CBs on the roster would have a huge impact on his defense?  Obviously the opt out by Pierce and the injuries certainly impacted things as well, but you have to prepare for those eventualities like other teams do by having solid depth.  It does not appear we have much quality depth that can produce at a decent NFL level yet.

I didn't even list Weatherly, but yes, and that's another case of this staff seeming to be confused in judging talent. After 2018, they thought Weatherly was an emerging star - but then in 2019 it was going to be Odenigbo. Now Odenigbo is recognized as only a part-timer, but Wonnum is probably going to be a starter. Tashawn Bower and Ade Aruna were once going to be great defensive linemen. We rip the Vikings' inability to find OL talent, but on the DL, they keep pointing out Danielle Hunter but there haven't been any others developed since Everson Griffen, have there?