Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game respects game

I doubt it will happen with the year Herbert had, but it would be nice if JJ won OROTY. Be the 4th Viking to win it since Moss. During that time, no other team has more than two and most don't have any. 

Fire Spielman.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Fire Spielman.
You mean a dozen roses to Howie Roseman

Fire Spielman.
Was just reading an article that called Danielle Hunter, Stefon Diggs and Eric Kendricks the three best players in the entire 2015 draft. Funny thing about those three: they were picked by the same dude. 

More: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/eva...r-BB1ciRlJ
Justin Jefferson so far looks like the best pick in the draft- certainly from a value standpoint at #22 overall. He is the highest PFF graded rookie at any position this season. He remains in contention for OROY award, based on having one of the most productive rookie seasons for a WR in NFL history.
CBs Cameron Dantzler and Harrison Hand rank 4th and 2nd in passer rating allowed when targeted among rookies this year with at least 75 coverage snaps. Jeff Gladney ranks 15th (out of 22). Harrison Hand has the highest overall PFF grade among rookie CBs with at least 100 snaps, and Cameron Dantzler is 4th. Jeff Gladney is 15th.
Ezra Cleveland is the 2nd highest graded rookie guard this season, according to PFF, among those with at least 150 snaps. He’s also the 5th highest graded offensive lineman in the entire draft.
D.J. Wonnum has the highest pass rush productivity among rookie edge rushers with at least 200 snaps - better than #2 overall Chase Young - and tied for 2nd most pressures among rookie edge rushers this season. His overall PFF grade is much lower, however, due to poor tackling and run defense grades. But he still grades better in pretty much every category than K’lavon Chaisson, who was taken #20 overall by the Jaguars. And for a 4th round pick, he’s showing a lot to build on.
The rest of the draft picks either haven’t played much and/or have been injured, so still not much to go on. One interesting note, however: the Vikings elected to protect practice squad C/G Kyle Hinton a week or two ago. Under the new rules this year, one practice squad guy can be protected from being poached each week. Given Hinton’s extremely low visibility, it would seem the Vikings would protect him because of his development - a good sign for the 253rd pick in the draft.
Overall, it looks like the Vikings will end up with six or more quality starters from this draft, and probably no fewer than three. Given the Vikings began the draft with a total of 12 draft picks, and traded a couple of them for higher-round picks in 2021, this is shaping up to be an enormous draft for the Vikings, in both quantity and quality. Rick Spielman’s hit-rate could be over 50% when we look back on this draft in another couple years, which would be about 2.5x the average hit-rate for quality starters.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Fire Spielman.
I was thinking a nice not dish.

@"purplefaithful" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Fire Spielman.
I was thinking a nice not dish.
That's damn MN and provincial of you.

Maybe a Casserole? 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Fire Spielman.
Was just reading an article that called Danielle Hunter, Stefon Diggs and Eric Kendricks the three best players in the entire 2015 draft. Funny thing about those three: they were picked by the same dude. 

More: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/eva...r-BB1ciRlJ
Justin Jefferson so far looks like the best pick in the draft- certainly from a value standpoint at #22 overall. He is the highest PFF graded rookie at any position this season. He remains in contention for OROY award, based on having one of the most productive rookie seasons for a WR in NFL history.
CBs Cameron Dantzler and Harrison Hand rank 4th and 2nd in passer rating allowed when targeted among rookies this year with at least 75 coverage snaps. Jeff Gladney ranks 15th (out of 22). Harrison Hand has the highest overall PFF grade among rookie CBs with at least 100 snaps, and Cameron Dantzler is 4th. Jeff Gladney is 15th.
Ezra Cleveland is the 2nd highest graded rookie guard this season, according to PFF, among those with at least 150 snaps. He’s also the 5th highest graded offensive lineman in the entire draft.
D.J. Wonnum has the highest pass rush productivity among rookie edge rushers with at least 200 snaps - better than #2 overall Chase Young - and tied for 2nd most pressures among rookie edge rushers this season. His overall PFF grade is much lower, however, due to poor tackling and run defense grades. But he still grades better in pretty much every category than K’lavon Chaisson, who was taken #20 overall by the Jaguars. And for a 4th round pick, he’s showing a lot to build on.
The rest of the draft picks either haven’t played much and/or have been injured, so still not much to go on. One interesting note, however: the Vikings elected to protect practice squad C/G Kyle Hinton a week or two ago. Under the new rules this year, one practice squad guy can be protected from being poached each week. Given Hinton’s extremely low visibility, it would seem the Vikings would protect him because of his development - a good sign for the 253rd pick in the draft.
Overall, it looks like the Vikings will end up with six or more quality starters from this draft, and probably no fewer than three. Given the Vikings began the draft with a total of 12 draft picks, and traded a couple of them for higher-round picks in 2021, this is shaping up to be an enormous draft for the Vikings, in both quantity and quality. Rick Spielman’s hit-rate could be over 50% when we look back on this draft in another couple years, which would be about 2.5x the average hit-rate for quality starters.

Six? Pretty optimistic - I see 4 "likely": Jefferson, Gladney, Cleveland, Dantzler. I'm not certain Wonnum holds up full-time any better than Odenigbo or Weatherly, but he has a shot. Projecting Hinton as a likely starter...that's a reach.

It's a good draft, no doubt. I totally  agree it's Spielman's best since 2015. Let's see if he follows it up well or has another like 2016 (Treadwell, Alexander, Beavers, MoBo...). We have only 1 player who is at least a reliable starter from the 2016 and 2017 drafts - Dalvin Cook. No one is even still on the roster from 2016 and aside from Cook the only ones from 2017 are Odenigbo and Jaleel Johnson.

I know you and I have kicked this back and forth many times and you can find great Spielman picks and I can find crappy ones. Maybe we should grade his drafting a different way: if he has great drafts, why didn't we field a championship team?? Because if he can regularly find starting players with half his draft picks, we should have some guys who were just raring to step up this year and take over from Pierce, Hunter, Barr, and/or Kendricks...but Zimmer just announced that he had nothing but "special teams level players" to start on defense. 

I'll stick to my assessment of Spielman: he drafts a handful of excellent players in the top rounds, but nothing after round 3, and so we lack depth and every year we are crying about how unfair the injuries were.

Fire Spielman.
Have defended Spelly since he became GM, I think Jan 2011 or 12?  I think he in the Top 3 in overall GM's.  That said I am done with Zimmer and have been since Philly debacle.  But as many fellow diehard posters have pointed out I think Spelly is convinced and committed to thinking our 2 year window that coincides with Cousin's contract is open for a SB push.  I don't.  Then you add this upcoming QB draft and I am fairly positive that we won't even think QB at 14.  We might draft someone late.  We will think, like many fans, that we are one player at pick 14 and full health for 2021 and 2022.  Then when we need a QB in 2023 we will hope their will be a draft with 5 potential first rounders and we are picking in the low teens.  Opportunity knocks not when you want or need you have to seize it (carpe diem)!  Maybe Spelly surprises the heck out of me and seriously looks at QB at 14 or a move higher???  

We all know the draft is a complete gamble but when it comes to the most important position in all of sports and the odds are higher (again 5+) then normal then my chips are on the table.  I bet Spelly's will not be!
Risk vs Reward at QB is different.