Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Head Coach candidates if we decide to move on
Quote: @kmillard said:
Hopefully one day they can get someone like that guy in Cleveland.
Last year, I was not a big fan of Stefanski - I thought being mentored by a string of Vikings coaches back to Childress was not necessarily the type of change we needed.

But - I was wrong about him. I had a very little bit of info about him, though; the people who own this team knew him vastly better, so them being wrong is a bigger mistake. Or maybe they knew but did not have the courage to dump Zimmer just because he pulled off a surprising but ultimately meaningless playoff win in New Orleans. If so, shame on them.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@kmillard said:
Last year, I was not a big fan of Stefanski - I thought being mentored by a string of Vikings coaches back to Childress was not necessarily the type of change we needed.

But - I was wrong about him. I had a very little bit of info about him, though; the people who own this team knew him vastly better, so them being wrong is a bigger mistake. Or maybe they knew but did not have the courage to dump Zimmer just because he pulled off a surprising but ultimately meaningless playoff win in New Orleans. If so, shame on them.
they are not football people, they are business people,  they do the right thing and hire football people for decisions like that and that person is Spielman,  shame on Spielman if you think Stefanski was the right choice,  now if they continue to let Spielman make those decisions and he keeps screwing the pooch then shame on the Wilfs.

This fan base would love Stefanski. The Browns run more than we do.

I'm starting to think folks want change for the sake of change. Or they don't think whatsoever.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:

I'm starting to think folks want change for the sake of change. Or they don't think whatsoever.

What exactly has status quo gotten us? I loved the Zimmer hire, but a 2-3 playoff record across 7 years isn't great. It's not even that good. If our goal is to not be the Lions then yay, we're champs! But I'm greedy and impatient and want more than that. Plus, like I said earlier in the thread and which no one has refuted-- Zim's clock mgmt is flat-out bad.
He seems like a great guy and a fine coach but he's been given a fair shake. I won't cry if (when) he's brought back, but if the Vikings decided to move on I'd be very okay with that too.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

What exactly has status quo gotten us? I loved the Zimmer hire, but a 2-3 playoff record across 7 years isn't great. It's not even that good. If our goal is to not be the Lions then yay, we're champs! But I'm greedy and impatient and want more than that. Plus, like I said earlier in the thread and which no one has refuted-- Zim's clock mgmt is flat-out bad.
He seems like a great guy and a fine coach but he's been given a fair shake. I won't cry if (when) he's brought back, but if the Vikings decided to move on I'd be very okay with that too.
Most of this fanbase is content with Jason Garrett North.  They think it's the best we can do.

If we hire Mike Kafka will our team become Kafka-esque?  

Personally I'd go after Joe Brady.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@kmillard said:

Yes, if only we had fired Zimmer after beating the Saints in New Orleans wrapping his 5th straight winning season as head coach...and hired Stefanki to replace him.

I'm sure Stef could've righted the ship after losing 8 of 11 starters on defense and that Cleveland's success has nothing at all to do with its emerging roster of talent fortified by picking in the top ten, 11 times since 2020 and having the #1 overall pick twice in the last four years....and everything to do with Kevin. 

Zimmer is #11 among current HC's in w/l record:

https://www.footballdb.com/coaches/index.html

He's been snake-bit as hell too...

Is that mediocrity or doing a stellar job with the hand dealt? 

I could argue that both ways.

The organization has provided him with a wealth of resources during that time. Infrastructure has improved tremendously. His staff is bigger than many elementary schools teachers on staff. 

He also goes through OC's like I go through toilet paper and his post-season record is mediocre at best. 

OTOH, it's like buying a house. You want to sell because you have something better to move to, not because you're current house sucks. I'm not sure who they'd run off to next and that's my biggest pause right now. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:

Any coach with Chubb/Hunt as RB, a good OL, and a fairly young QB would run the ball more then throw.

I do want change.  Zimmer is finishing up his 8th year and IMO has shown that he is good enough to make us an every other year borderline/playoff team but not much more.  His record within the division is awful.  To me he is average across the board in terms of his overall HC responsibilities and has shown only slight improvement over 8 years.  His handling of the OC position has been a turnstile of mostly veteran coaches that I think (can't prove) he interferes with too much.  His obvious strength in the D side of the ball and I think even that has become stale and antiquated.  It seemed like in most/not all big games when we really needed a good/great defensive performance we were consistently let down.  Eagles debacle comes to mind first (probably because I was there) but the Saints game before when he mixed up our DE and DL was a very good example of his strength. His teams over 8 years are just to inconsistent...stressing the sample of 8 years not one year or another. 

I don't want change for change sake but when I don't see enough growth or improvement then yes I am ready for change for the possible idea of growth/improvement from another.  I am ready for "possibly" becoming more then just an inconsistent borderline playoff team. 

Now we all know it is very easy to sit back and criticize without offering any solutions.  So I do want change and many other posters who don't will say well I don't see anyone who would be better then Zimmer etc....  So many fellow diehards are satisfied with Zimmer and can not foresee anyone possibly being better.  To me that is settling after 8 years of information.  I want change from top-to-bottom not just Zimmer.  I have numerous posts about the kind of change I am hoping for that I won't belabor now.

But I just want to respond to post above:

- Stefanski's current inherited team screams run more then pass from a personnel standpoint.
- My desire for change from Zimmer has nothing to do with run/pass ratio
- I have expressed (I hope) that it is not just for change sake and that I do think