Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carson Wentz wants out?
Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Carl Knowles said:
The bidding for Darnold needs to start some where,... as a Vikings fan, I hope Spielman is at least kicking the tires on the idea and putting a couple mid round picks on the table. Darnold's time as a backup behind Cousins might be short lived if the Vikings go 1-5 to start the 2021 season.

Yes, I do agree that the price for Darnold should/will be higher than a 3rd and a 4th. All I'm saying is I would be ok if Spielman got the bidding started with a 3rd and a 4th.

Trading for Darnold is not something Spielman will want to do anyway! Trading up a few spots for a rookie QB is a more likely scenario, once the dust settles on the FA and QB trade markets.
Agreed Carl. Don't know what it would take to get Darnold, but obviously if its stupid, the Vikings wouldn't pursue it. Darnold is only 23 years old and if he's allowed to relax and learn behind a starter like Cousins, I'd be for it. Darnold is talented. I know the Jets say they won't give him away but nobody is going to give much up for him because they know the Jets are drafting their starter in this upcoming draft
That's up in the air now, isn't it? Trevor Lawrence would have been their new QB - but unless the Jags win one of their last 2 games, he belongs to Jacksonville. I don't think it is definite that the Jets will substitute Justin Fields for Darnold quite as readily, and I don't know that Fields is a better prospect than Darnold was when he came out.

A big factor everyone should consider when they propose the Vikings acquire Darnold: he's not a super-cheap option. If we trade for him, we assume his current contract and his cap hit for 2021 will be $9.7M. So, trade a 3rd for him, fine - but he costs a lot more than a 3rd rounders' contract. If he's backing up or learning from Cousins, we will have a total of $41M in the QB position next year. And next May 3, whoever has Darnold gets to decide if they will pick up his 5th-year option for 2022. That might be as "low" as $15M depending...but he and Cousins together would be getting $60M or more from the Vikings. (If Cousins is on our team in 2021 his 2022 salary is guaranteed!)

Sean Mannion has not increased his value significantly, we'll have him back next year for about $1M/year again. Accept it.