Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ryan Longwell on Dan Bailey

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@1VikesFan said:
I've been pondering Bailey's dramatic crash of the last few weeks and I'm wondering if it could be associated with the change in long snappers. I know kicking is completely timing based and just think something could have changed with the snap that is affecting his timing and has screwed up his confidence.

That is what I am saying.  He was great last year, but was cut in Dallas because he struggled.  So he seemingly had conquered his demons until an interruption to his timing has gotten him in a slump again.  Kicking is a lot like hitting in baseball/softball.  Too much time to think about it between chances and those chances are rather limited.  Then you get back up there and the pressure is to make up for the last one. 
hitting a baseball is easy,  try golf,  imo that is closest to kicking a football for me.

I was referring to the time between chances and the pressure of trying to make up for it.  That is what causes slumps.  I would have to be able to sustain some reliability in golfing before anything could be considered a slump.

I guess I dont really agree with long snappers being a huge impact for kickers. Once the ball is snapped they put their head down so what difference does that make? I would see a holder making more of an impact...the way they rotate the ball or how they're positioned when the kick happens. If someone was a high school or college kicker, please chime in. I was a middle school kicker and attempted one field and was so nervous I was more focused on not urinating myself than I was making the kick.

I'm sure every kicker is different and has their preferences, but at the end of the day you need to make kicks. I understand missing long ones but we are talking about relative gimmes. I think Zimmer is kind of like screw it at this point because there are three games left and there aren't really any viable alternatives at this point. Probably ride out the season and get someone else next year.

If longwell notices it, I would say it matters to Bailey.  The timing of the snap isn't something that just happens.  They make it look easy, but they put plenty of time as a group to perfect that.  Obviously he should be able to overcome it, but if there is a sudden change, that likely is a cause.

May of 2019 Vikings hired Nate Kaeding as a part time kicking consultant. 

I saw a tweet that said because of covid Kaeding hasn't been working with Bailey much this year. Time to get Kaeding back to work!

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-hir...consultant

loved the interview by Longeell on the Score North podcast lots of insight from someone who jnows what he is talking about.  Lets let Bailey work it out we arent going to the Superbowl this year.

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
I guess I dont really agree with long snappers being a huge impact for kickers. Once the ball is snapped they put their head down so what difference does that make? I would see a holder making more of an impact...the way they rotate the ball or how they're positioned when the kick happens. If someone was a high school or college kicker, please chime in. I was a middle school kicker and attempted one field and was so nervous I was more focused on not urinating myself than I was making the kick.

I'm sure every kicker is different and has their preferences, but at the end of the day you need to make kicks. I understand missing long ones but we are talking about relative gimmes. I think Zimmer is kind of like screw it at this point because there are three games left and there aren't really any viable alternatives at this point. Probably ride out the season and get someone else next year.
It's about timing and confidence that the ball will be where it is supposed to be when he swings his leg.  If they are having timing issues in practice it will carry over to the game,  and once the miscues like blocks and bad snaps start its a snowball from there.  Yes the hold is critical,  but that all starts with a consistent snap speed and location for the holder to get the ball to the kickers mark at precisely the right time.    Really look at what all happens once the kicker puts his head down,   lots of precision in that fraction of time to make for a successful attempt.