Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could Trey Lance be there when Minnesota picks?
Quote: @minny65 said:
Michael Penix Jr. playing for Indiana is a future star. 
But he is only a Sophomore and will be a top pick next year

This is the way to think - QBs who might be available in 2022 or later. Because Spielman is NOT going to admit he was mistaken in extending Cousins, and that's exactly what picking a QB less than a year later would be. If they had ended up with the chance to draft in the top 5 and get a generational talent like Lawrence or Fields, maybe they could make the case, but if they chase the 4th or 5th best QB next spring, that essentially says, "We're desperate to replace Cousins."
Our own cap issues may be less than the Eagles but still will keep us from signing any significant FAs, so the #1 pick is the only chance to add any immediate help. Our GM and coach will argue they are getting Pierce and Hunter and Barr back and are "one player away" from contending, maybe they believe one more OL will make Cousins look like a star QB.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@minny65 said:
Michael Penix Jr. playing for Indiana is a future star. 
But he is only a Sophomore and will be a top pick next year

This is the way to think - QBs who might be available in 2022 or later. Because Spielman is NOT going to admit he was mistaken in extending Cousins, and that's exactly what picking a QB less than a year later would be. If they had ended up with the chance to draft in the top 5 and get a generational talent like Lawrence or Fields, maybe they could make the case, but if they chase the 4th or 5th best QB next spring, that essentially says, "We're desperate to replace Cousins."
Our own cap issues may be less than the Eagles but still will keep us from signing any significant FAs, so the #1 pick is the only chance to add any immediate help. Our GM and coach will argue they are getting Pierce and Hunter and Barr back and are "one player away" from contending, maybe they believe one more OL will make Cousins look like a star QB.
one of Cousins or Barr will likely have to be gone to get under the cap and sign our rookies,  that doesnt even take into account our own pending free agents.  we are currently 8 million over the cap, will need to clear about and additional 3 to 4 million (guessing) for rookie deals,  and we have about 10 players that currently contribute a fair amount that are set to hit free agency of some sort to resign or replace some way.

I would love a chance at Zack Wilson but I think he is going high and will be the 3rd QB taken.  The ball just explodes off his arm with good accuracy.  

Here is his game tape vs #23 Boise State:

Zach Wilson vs Boise State 2020 - YouTube

Quote: @minny65 said:
Lance reminds me of Jordan Love with the small school, arm and running skills.  Not a lot of tape on Lance because they only play one game this season.  That scares me.  His only game he had a 50% completion.  He threw the ball 30 times and also ran 15 in that game.  He runs too much.  He does first read and run. 

The 2019 season he was lights out with 25 TD's and 0 Int's the whole season including Bowl. 
In the final game Bowl game they won he ran the ball 30 times and threw it 10 times, is that because he wasn't reading the Defense? 
 His arm looks to be a little better then Jordan Love IMO.
That's interesting...  Lance actually reminds me of Dak Prescott.  Quick, accurate releases.  Strong arms to flick the ball around the field.  Tough runners, especially in the red zone.

I haven't watched a lot of Lance since he played at NDSU, but what I have seen, I like.  He's not a one read and run QB.  There are enough instances where you can see him manuevering in the pocket to evade pressure and going through his progressions.  I actually love his pocket awareness, he keeps his eyes up looking to throw instead of just coming off his first read at the first sign of pressure and running.  Usually you see him take off immediately if there is open space up the middle, so I get why some think he is a one read and run guy.

The one thing I don't like is the small body of work.  One full season and a game this year.  I think the draft gurus in the media are over-projecting him (and other QBs) because they see Carson Wentz was an early first round pick.

He looks like a Day 2 guy to me, but I like his upside as a potential starter.  Said the same thing about Dak, Russell Wilson, and Hurts in the past.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@minny65 said:
Lance reminds me of Jordan Love with the small school, arm and running skills.  Not a lot of tape on Lance because they only play one game this season.  That scares me.  His only game he had a 50% completion.  He threw the ball 30 times and also ran 15 in that game.  He runs too much.  He does first read and run. 

The 2019 season he was lights out with 25 TD's and 0 Int's the whole season including Bowl. 
In the final game Bowl game they won he ran the ball 30 times and threw it 10 times, is that because he wasn't reading the Defense? 
 His arm looks to be a little better then Jordan Love IMO.
That's interesting...  Lance actually reminds me of Dak Prescott.  Quick, accurate releases.  Strong arms to flick the ball around the field.  Tough runners, especially in the red zone.

I haven't watched a lot of Lance since he played at NDSU, but what I have seen, I like.  He's not a one read and run QB.  There are enough instances where you can see him manuevering in the pocket to evade pressure and going through his progressions.  I actually love his pocket awareness, he keeps his eyes up looking to throw instead of just coming off his first read at the first sign of pressure and running.  Usually you see him take off immediately if there is open space up the middle, so I get why some think he is a one read and run guy.

The one thing I don't like is the small body of work.  One full season and a game this year.  I think the draft gurus in the media are over-projecting him (and other QBs) because they see Carson Wentz was an early first round pick.

He looks like a Day 2 guy to me, but I like his upside as a potential starter.  Said the same thing about Dak, Russell Wilson, and Hurts in the past.
I agree on the day 2 grade,  but again we are talking QB in a QB driven/starved league,  a lot of teams in the market,  and of course we don't have a second round pick.  IMO if they identify Lance or other as their guy, they need to just say screw it and take him with their first,   dont get cute about it and try and trade down and hope nobody grabs him,  if they really like a QB then just take him at 12, 15 or what ever they end up picking at.

Honestly though,   if the top 3 are gone in the top 5 to 7 as some suggest,  I see a few teams getting antsy and jumping ahead of Minnesota for him.

I expect us to be around that 14 to 19th pick.

Quote: @BEO said:
@PurpleCrush said:
The more I think about it, the more I'd be worried about drafting him. I see some guys like Lamar Jackson, Wentz, and others over the years come in (meaning guys who had certain questions about their passing ability), dominate with their athleticism, and then when defenses figure them out the player doesn't raise his game up to the next level or is very inconsistent.

That'd be my biggest concern with drafting Lance, especially having played only 1 game in what will essentially be two years until he goes to the NFL.
I hear you... but I think at some point drafting where Vikes typically draft you are going to have to take a gamble.

You hope you find the athlectic qb that becomes Mahomes or Russel Wilson... heck, I'd probably settle for a Dak Prescott at this point.
At the end of the day the only guys I would have no issues taking at all would be Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson...pretty much guys who look like they'll be way out of our reach (possibly even the top 3 picks). With that being said, if the Vikings take a guy early it's going to be a gamble. I get your point of having to take a shot, I just hope it's not another Ponder situation.