Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: SpaceX Crew Dragon Launch Today!!

oh man!!! just missed it. 

im a big space geek and missed it

If anyone is a fan of Star Trek Next Generation or Deep Space Nine you'll understand why this made me laugh.
I was watching the launch on CNN and Wolf Blitzer started talking to an aviation analyst named... Miles O'Brien  =)  Don't tell me we've slipped into the mirror universe again  :o :p

It was cloudy here in Florida but I saw it come through the clouds and followed it on a northern track. Shock wave grew with speed.

Yep, Watched it from my backyard as well. Amazing color at night.

Quote: @FLVike said:
It was cloudy here in Florida but I saw it come through the clouds and followed it on a northern track. Shock wave grew with speed.

Quote: @TampaVike said:
Yep, Watched it from my backyard as well. Amazing color at night.

So how does one go about watching a launch?  Is there a good place to stay and observe?  My daughter is as big of space nut as I am and we've talked about traveling to watch one sometime. 

I am about 90 miles away, I just go to a location that allows view, like a field with few trees close up. Use binoculars and wait for launch, Usually I can see the light from first ignition. This launch had low clouds from my perspective and I didn't see it until it was at high altitude. But then I could follow it easily. Then at when it gets faster you can see a shock wave coming off it.

Quote: @FLVike said:
I am about 90 miles away, I just go to a location that allows view, like a field with few trees close up. Use binoculars and wait for launch, Usually I can see the light from first ignition. This launch had low clouds from my perspective and I didn't see it until it was at high altitude. But then I could follow it easily. Then at when it gets faster you can see a shock wave coming off it.

How close can you reasonably get to a launch?  And really do you want to be really close if there's cloudy weather?

You can drive to about 5 miles away and that would be an awesome view.