Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dantzler
Quote: @"ArizonaViking" said:
As good as the kid is, he will need to add 10 - 15 lbs. of muscle if he plans on a career in the NFL...
The key will be whether he can add muscle without losing speed. He has good instincts as a corner, but he's physically taken a beating this season. Though almost all of our corners have been banged up this year.

Its Zimmers system,  he relies on those corners making plays in the run game,  which makes it confusing then we Spellman drafts him sub 200# guys with stick frames like Waynes and a few others.  Our corners under Zim seem to make more tackles on RBs than most other teams.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
Its Zimmers system,  he relies on those corners making plays in the run game,  which makes it confusing then we Spellman drafts him sub 200# guys with stick frames like Waynes and a few others.  Our corners under Zim seem to make more tackles on RBs than most other teams.
Waynes was known for his run support excellence at Michigan State, however, and he did a nice job of that in the pros despite his frame. He'd put his shoulder in there. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Waynes was known for his run support excellence at Michigan State, however, and he did a nice job of that in the pros despite his frame. He'd put his shoulder in there. 
I dont remember it that way.  IIRC he had to really be coached up his rookie year to get more physical and be a better tackler at the LOS.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
I dont remember it that way.  IIRC he had to really be coached up his rookie year to get more physical and be a better tackler at the LOS.
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports.../26674663/

"He is a very physical in run support player," NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah said. "I think he is a complete corner. The ability is there, the toughness is there, the instincts. He checks all those boxes."

It's true Waynes had a nose for the football and was willing to stick his head into it...but, how many times after a tackle he went to the sideline with a stinker to his should or arm.

Quote: @"ArizonaViking" said:
It's true Waynes had a nose for the football and was willing to stick his head into it...but, how many times after a tackle he went to the sideline with a stinker to his should or arm.
His last 3 years in Minnesota he started 44 games out of 48. I don't remember him coming out of the game very often, and when he did, it wasn't for very long. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports.../26674663/

"He is a very physical in run support player," NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah said. "I think he is a complete corner. The ability is there, the toughness is there, the instincts. He checks all those boxes."
my memory must be playing tricks,  I thought for sure I remembered there  being reports out of camp and preseason that year that Zim was pushing him to be more involved in the run support and to get better at tackling.

Getting old sucks.  add in the countless concussions from my youth and the copious amounts of booze over the last 35 years and well... hey look,  a squirrel.