Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB Jamie Newman
Outside of the top 3 QBs, there's a lot of debate about the next 3. A name that comes up from respected draft sites like Walterfootball.com is Jamie Newman. He opted out because of COVID for the year so nothing to look at for this college football season. Big kid with a big arm (6'4", 230+lbs.). Athletic. But, of course, negatives like raw and others. 

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingrepor...newman.php

Thoughts? 

I think Newman hurt himself by opting out. If he would have played well for Georgia this season he would have had a great opportunity to prove he has first round talent. 

Jordan Love was view as a better prospect,... so as it stands nothing really changes. Love was drafted with the 26th pick by the Packers last year.

I think Newman is a 2nd round pick based on where love and Jalen Hurts (#53) got drafted last season.

I like Newman... his best film is the Rice game last year. 21-27 77% 312 yds multiple touchdowns and good yards on the ground (that game highlight is posted below).

Anyway, if the Vikings aren't in a position to draft any of the top 3 QB.

I think the Vikings could move up from one of their 3rd round picks to target a QB. Yes, Newman should be on the radar. In round 2-4, there will be some good QBs.

Right now Jamie Newman is probably QB 4 in my book. But if guys like Kyle Trask, Zach Wilson or Mac Jones keeps putting up big numbers and winning games, Newman could get past by.

I think if Zach Wilson is really 6'3" (he doesn't look that tall on tape), and he continues his blistering pace... I would say that (out side of Lawerance and Fields), Wilson might be the next most "NFL ready" QB in the class.

A lot of people like Brock Purdy, but he doesn't wow me.

Jamie Newman, Zach Wilson... I would move up from the 3rd round and go get one of them if they miss out on Lawrence, Fields or Lance.

Thanks for bringing attention to another potential QB prospect. 

Looked like a lot of 1st read, 10 yard passes or passes that were thrown behind/short of receivers against subpar competition (with subpar talent on his side of the ball as well to be fair)

That game didn't make him look very enticing to me. Also I didn't think he had Hurts athleticism. Looks like a 5th round guy to me

It would be interesting to see the number of NFL success stories at QB vs flops in relation to their number of years playing at the college level vs leaving after 1 good season of starting.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
It would be interesting to see the number of NFL success stories at QB vs flops in relation to their number of years playing at the college level vs leaving after 1 good season of starting.
Joe Burrow is an interesting example of this: he was barely on the radar before his final year at LSU.