Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In the meantime, Vikings scrimmage
https://www.twincities.com/2020/08/28/five-observations-from-the-vikings-scrimmage-at-u-s-bank-stadium/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_content=tw-PioneerPress&utm_campaign=socialflow

With a Week 1 game against the Green Bay Packers approaching, and no preseason to get acclimated, Vikings coach Mike Zimmer scheduled Friday’s practice at U.S. Bank Stadium to get his players ready for what they will face on game day
The day was set up like a scrimmage, and while the players weren’t allowed to tackle, and thus it wasn’t as intense as an actual game, it provided the Vikings a barometer of what they need to improve upon in the coming weeks. It also provided some clarity on certain position battles with training camp in the books.
Here are five observations from Friday’s scrimmage at U.S. Bank Stadium:
THIELEN SHINESAdam Thielen was the best player on the field during Friday’s scrimmage. While the Vikings won’t have Stefon Diggs to complement him anymore, Thielen continues to prove he will be able to hold down the fort without his best bud around.  He caught a few passes with relative easy, including a circus catch over presumed starter Holton Hill. He also proved to be security blanket for quarterback Kirk Cousins whenever the play broke down, like he has multiple times over the past couple of seasons.
HUGHES ROTATESMike Hughes might have been the busiest man on the field Friday. He started as an outside cornerback opposite Hill when the Vikings were in their base defense, then moved inside to the slot when they shifted to their nickel defense. That rotating for Hughes was notable because it likely provided a look at how the Vikings will use him during games this season. He is someone Zimmer has lauded for his ability to play both positions, and it looks like that’s what he’ll be doing this fall. Meanwhile, rookie Cameron Dantzler was the other outside corner whenever Hughes was in the slot. He seems to be separating himself from fellow rookie Jeff Gladney, at least for the time being.
JEFFERSON EMERGESJustin Jefferson was the slot receiver with the first-team offense, with Thielen and Bisi Johnson playing on the outside. That came after Jefferson spent a good chunk of training camp with the second-team offense. It felt like only a matter of time before Jefferson passed the likes Chad Beebe and Tajae Sharpe, especially considering he was a first-round draft pick this spring. It will be interesting to see if the Vikings continue that rotation during practices in the coming weeks.
more at link...

Curious, both from a real football and fantasy perspective, if anyone thinks Diggs departure is going to hurt or help Thielen's numbers...

I first thought with no Diggs, DCs would just double Thielen and erase the bulk of the Vikings' downfield game, and I still think that's probably what's going to happen early on. But Thielen has proven that he can beat double teams. And with Jefferson, Bisi, Hollins and ISJ looking good, the Vikings just might have what it takes to make teams pay a few times for putting all their attention on Thielen. 

If Bisi and ISJ can nickel and dime them, while Jefferson and Hollins occasionally break a big one, Thielen just might have his best ever year. 

I just pray that the O-Line, specifically the interior, doesn't get Cousins killed.

The Kubes O is going to be pretty to watch. Misdirection and movement are key.  ISJ is going to break out big and we need him to with diggs gone 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Curious, both from a real football and fantasy perspective, if anyone thinks Diggs departure is going to hurt or help Thielen's numbers...

I first thought with no Diggs, DCs would just double Thielen and erase the bulk of the Vikings' downfield game, and I still think that's probably what's going to happen early on. But Thielen has proven that he can beat double teams. And with Jefferson, Bisi, Hollins and ISJ looking good, all the Vikings just might have what it takes to make teams pay a few times for putting all their attention on Thielen. 

If Bisi and ISJ can nickel and dime them, while Jefferson and Hollins occasionally break a big one, Thielen just might have his best ever year. 
agree, but I think a “fast start” for Bisi and JJ are important.  Get them touches early, mix in a little Irv.  if we can do that, I think Thielens number will improve (hopefully stays healthy)

Jefferson in the slot seems right for year 1...

If he's as good as I think he will be, he'll be a nightmare in future seasons moving around the field. 

Bisi gets open, a very obvious quality that a NFL WRer should have but not one that all can do transitioning from college to the pros. In college, guys are wide open all the time. All the time. Its part of the reason its so hard to know if a college QB will make a good pro.