Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who has a better case for the Hall -- Marshall or Foreman?
With the veterans' committee passing over the Vikings again (and nominating Drew Pearson, just to salt the wound), I'm interested in who you think has the better case for enshrinement in Canton?

They both belong, no debate on my part...!  

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
They both belong, no debate on my part...!  
This ^^

Neither . . . Henry Thomas 

Check the stats between Thomas and Warren Sapp.  Similar despite Sapp playing in a better passing era

Marshall.  I know it's not popular here but I don't think Foreman belongs in the HOF.  Only 3 1,000 rushing seasons, 3.8 ypc and less than 6,000 rushing yards in an 8-year career the final 2 of which he existed in name only.  If we saw another teams' fans clamoring for an RB with Foreman's stats to get in the the HOF we'd laugh ourselves silly.

Loved both those guys as I was growing-up. Foreman really revolutionized the use of a RB in the game. Not to take anything away from #44, if I had to choose one its Marshall.

It's kinda like having to choose your favorite kid though. You may have one, but you'd never say it openly. 

@Skodin brings up a very valid point that's been discussed over the years too. Look Hardware Hank's stats vs Sapp and try to figure out why one is in HOF and the other isn't...

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Loved both those guys as I was growing-up. Foreman really revolutionized the use of a RB in the game. Not to take anything away from #44, if I had to choose one its Marshall.

It's kinda like having to choose your favorite kid though. You may have one, but you'd never say it openly. 

@Skodin brings up a very valid point that's been discussed over the years too. Look Hardware Hank's stats vs Sapp and try to figure out why one is in HOF and the other isn't...
See, though I loved both, because Foreman revolutionized the position, I have to go with him.  Also, with Marshall, and this will be unpopular, but I think you also have to account for the other talent on the line making his job easier.

Kennedy (167 games)
Sapp (198 games) 
Thomas (213 games)

Thomas 868 SOLO tackles vs K 569 and S 440
Thomas 138 ASST tackles vs K 100 and S 138

Sapp 96.5 sacks vs Thomas 93.5 and Kennedy 58

Thomas and Sapp 19 forced fumbles, Kennedy 11

Thomas 14 fumble recovery’s, Sapp 12, Kennedy 6

Thomas 2 fumble TDs, Sapp 1, Kennedy 0

Thomas and Sapp 4 INTs, Kennedy 3

So Sapp had a bigger mouth, a bigger story so therefore he received all the press while being equal or less to Thomas in FF, FR, INT, Solo and Assisted Tackles

Thomas is better than Kennedy in:
Solo 
Assisted
Sacks
Fumble Forced
Fumble Recovered
TDs
INTs

SO on the field Thomas was just as good if not better than both, but in the eyes of the press, he wasn’t flashy enough or the only star on his team

The 87 or 88 team wins a Super Bowl, Henry Thomas is a lock for the HOF

Great argument for Thomas---loved his play

I agree, great argument for Thomas -- but I don't think you can make a compelling point simply by comparing to one other Hall of Famer.   

Foreman was my favorite Viking growing up, but I'd give the nod to Marshall over him if I had to pick just one.  Ed White also has a case.  Before Favre, Marshall was the iron man in the NFL (I don't count punters or kickers).  Not sure why this was never celebrated ala Cal Ripken in baseball.  Marshall has the numbers as well.  He is hurt by never being "the" best at his position in his era.  I also think he is still maligned for his "wrong way" fumble return, which is the only highlight some under-educated committee members seem to have in mind when Marshall is discussed.  Its a shame he is being passed over for a "good" wide receiver from his era.